Sentimental Tokens 1773-1774

Started by constanius, January 27, 2010, 10:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

constanius

Sentimental Token: This is the first of a set of 13 by John Kirk given as a gift each month to purchasers of The Sentimental Magazine. George III King of Great Britain ETc 1773. Copper 26mm.
Some Selected Reports from the Bath Journal Monday, March 29th, 1773 ;
The Sentimental Magazine  A NEW MAGAZINE, With every Number of which will be given a curious MEDAL, struck on fine Metal, about the Size and Weight of a Guinea, executed by Mr. KIRKE, who is universally esteemed the First Artist in London in his Profession. This Medal will of itself, exclusive of the Magazine, be Worth at least Half-a-Crown; it will represent some reigning Toast, some Great Personage, some Hero celebrated in the Annals of our own Kingdom, or in those of the Continent, some Patriot, or some uncommon literary Genius.

On Thursday the First of April will be Published, Price Six-Pence, In which will be given an elegant Medal of his Majesty George III. the Dye of which is executed by Mr. Kirke, and esteemed a most Striking Likeness; and also embellished with Copper-Plates, designed and engraved by the best Masters NUMBER I. [to be continued Monthly] of The SENTIMENTAL MAGAZINE Or, GENERAL ASSEMBLAGE of SCIENCE, TASTE and ENTERTAINMENT.

Calculated to amuse the Mind, to improve the Understanding, and to amend the Heart. London: Printed for the Authors, and sold by G. KEARSLEY, removed from Ludgate-street to No. 46 in Fleet-street, and by all other Booksellers in Great Britain and Ireland. *** The MEDAL to be given with each Number will be sealed up in a Kind of silky Paper, provided for that Purpose, to prevent any Injury to the fine Impression of the Dye; and it will be so affixed to the Magazine, as to render it portable with it without any Inconvenience. Those Persons who are desirous of having any of the Medals given in the Course of this Work, struck in Gold, Silver, &c. may, by applying to the Publisher, be supplied with them on the most reasonable Terms.

Figleaf

Excellent, Constanius. I found a text on the character of the magazine here. If you can't read the text below, either use the link or download the picture (click on the paperclip) and enlarge.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

constanius

Lord Chatham (William Pitt) Copper 26mm.

Figleaf

I found a portrait that shows that the one on the medal is indeed lifelike, as was claimed in the first post.

Pitt also figures on a number of London tokens, notably with his opponent Fox, described as "odd fellows". On these tokens, he has a formidable eyebrow and double chin.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

constanius

CHARLOTTE QUEEN OF GREAT BRITAIN ETc 1773

constanius

DUKE OF GLOCESTER 1773 copper & silvered copper

ghipszky

Figleaf

This duke of Gloucester was prince William Henry, brother of George III. His bio is here. If he made it to this series, I would expect more members of the royal family. Or was it his infamous marriage that led to the interest of the Sentimental Magazine?

Peter

Figleaf

Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz was the wife of George III. She first met her husband on het wedding day. Yet, the marriage is reported to have been reasonably good. She bore 15 children.

Peter

ghipszky

Wow a Knight of the Garter that is pretty good. So then which Queen started the honor of being a Knight of the Garter? What did Queen Victoria have to do with it. I remember seeing something about it when I read her bio.
Ginger

ghipszky

I hope Charlotte had lots of male children!
Ginger

constanius

constanius

constanius

ghipszky

I love this thread, so may awesome photos and tokens to see.
Ginger