Pakistan 1947 Pattern Coins

Started by Iftikhar Ahmad, October 03, 2023, 08:24:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iftikhar Ahmad

After the partition announcement in June of 1947 and the achievement of Independence In August 1947 by both Pakistan and India, both countries thought to create new and distinctive coinages.

The initial Pakistani pattern coinage, comprising TWO different designs of Rupee coins, was the first to be completed. These patterns, prepared at Lahore by the Mint Master (former Calcutta Mint Master) Mr. Bernard Sinclair-Jones, were prepared in the days immediately after partition.

Neither of the designs was adopted and when Sinclair-Jones left Pakistan during the turmoil of the 1947-1948 riots, the sets were lost and their present whereabouts are unknown. Zinc-Nickel alloy was used for the coins.

A third design was also completed in late 1947 using Copper-Nickel alloy. It was completely different from the above two designs and the later circulating coin of 1 Rupee was based on this design. Whether this design was prepared by Bernard Sinclair-Jones or not is not known.

Digitally created designs according to the data collected from various sources

Pattern 1

Obverse: Crescent and star, value in Urdu above and English below. Date in Urdu to the left and English to the right.

Reverse: Tughra within the circle, "Government of Pakistan" written in the outer circle. It had a     milled edge.

Pattern 2

Obverse: It had dates with the "Government of Pakistan" legend written in the outer circle and Tughra within the inner circle.

Reverse: Crescent and star, value in Urdu above and in English below with smaller stars on both left  and right sides. It had a milled edge.

Pattern 3

Obverse: Crescent and star, value in Urdu above and English below and a wreath/sprigs below the English value with two small stars at the edges of the wreath on both sides.

Reverse: It had a Tughra in the middle with the "Government of Pakistan" legend written above it and a wreath/sprigs below with two small stars at the edges of the wreath/sprigs on both sides. Date in English to the right of Tughra. It had a milled edge.

Figleaf

Interesting picture. The three rupee patterns are confirmed in KM. If I understand you correctly, the first two were lost in 1947 or 1948. Does that mean the third still exists? If so, is there nothing except the date to distinguish it from the circulation coins?

As for the first two patterns, clearly, the description is still available. On what basis did you reconstruct your pictures? Are there photo's of these patterns somewhere?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Pabitra

Quote from: Iftikhar Ahmad on October 03, 2023, 08:24:04 AMAfter the partition announcement in June of 1947 and the achievement of Independence In August 1947 by both Pakistan and India, both countries thought to create new and distinctive coinages.

The initial Pakistani pattern coinage, comprising TWO different designs of Rupee coins, was the first to be completed. These patterns, prepared at Lahore by the Mint Master (former Calcutta Mint Master) Mr. Bernard Sinclair-Jones, were prepared in the days immediately after partition.

Neither of the designs was adopted and when Sinclair-Jones left Pakistan during the turmoil of the 1947-1948 riots, the sets were lost and their present whereabouts are unknown. Zinc-Nickel alloy was used for the coins.

A third design was also completed in late 1947 using Copper-Nickel alloy. It was completely different from the above two designs and the later circulating coin of 1 Rupee was based on this design. Whether this design was prepared by Bernard Sinclair-Jones or not is not known.

Digitally created designs according to the data collected from various sources

Pattern 1

Obverse: Crescent and star, value in Urdu above and English below. Date in Urdu to the left and English to the right.

Reverse: Tughra within the circle, "Government of Pakistan" written in the outer circle. It had a     milled edge.

Pattern 2

Obverse: It had dates with the "Government of Pakistan" legend written in the outer circle and Tughra within the inner circle.

Reverse: Crescent and star, value in Urdu above and in English below with smaller stars on both left  and right sides. It had a milled edge.

Pattern 3

Obverse: Crescent and star, value in Urdu above and English below and a wreath/sprigs below the English value with two small stars at the edges of the wreath on both sides.

Reverse: It had a Tughra in the middle with the "Government of Pakistan" legend written above it and a wreath/sprigs below with two small stars at the edges of the wreath/sprigs on both sides. Date in English to the right of Tughra. It had a milled edge.

The details appear to have been taken from  Spinks auction catalogue of 17th August, 2023

See

https://live.spink.com/lots/view/4-ANNYQU/ngc-ms65-pakistan-copper-nickel-pattern-rupee-1947-type-3-toughra-date-right-within-wre

The coin went for £3200 + buyers charges

Pabitra

Quote from: Figleaf on October 10, 2023, 03:19:49 PMDoes that mean the third still exists? If so, is there nothing except the date to distinguish it from the circulation coins?

The original poster has not responded so let me answer your queries, Peter.
Yes, the third one exists ( obvious from my post above).
The pattern was in Copper Nickel whereas minting of circulation coin was in Nickel or perhaps Zinc..
High Copper prices during the War era may have been the reason for alloy being given up in favour of single metal.

Iftikhar Ahmad

Sorry for the late reply. Some years ago I cam across a book in which details are given about the pattern coins. At that time I was not into numismatics. Recently someone I know got the posession of the third varient of the coin in an auction. I then decided to digitally design the coins. Pictures of the first two are on the NGC website on the following links.

Pattern #1
https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/pakistan-rupee-km-pn1-1947-cuid-1106997-duid-1575668

Pattern #2
https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/pakistan-rupee-km-pn2-1947-cuid-1106998-duid-1558724

My designs