News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Who can identify the fruit on these coins?

Started by <k>, September 26, 2023, 11:01:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

Quote from: Figleaf on March 20, 2024, 11:18:30 AMMy wife, who is a great cook :perfect: , believes the shape below the grapes could be a peach. She quotes the 1 livre as evidence. All the fruit on that coin occurs on the 5 livres also and the peach is much clearer.

Peach.jpg

A peach, lying sideways. Could be.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

Lebanon 1 livre 1968.jpg

Lebanon, 1 pound, 1968.

Quote from: Figleaf on March 20, 2024, 11:18:30 AMMy wife believes the shape below the grapes could be a peach. She quotes the 1 livre as evidence. All the fruit on that coin occurs on the 5 livres also and the peach is much clearer.

The old documentation that I found for the 1 livre of 1968 says "oranges, grapes, and an apple."

Certain fruit types tend to look similar on coin designs, of course.

Figleaf

Encouraged by your enthusiasm, she has identified the fruit above the mini-cucumbers as loquat (akedene).

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

<k>

Quote from: Figleaf on March 20, 2024, 11:46:23 AMEncouraged by your enthusiasm, she has identified the fruit above the mini-cucumbers as loquat (akedene).

"Loqat - the fruit above the mini-cucumbers" - is that the fruit to the left or the right?

Loqat.jpg

Loqat.

Figleaf

An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

<k>

<k>

São Tomé e Príncipe, 2000 dobras, 1997.

A tropical fruit forum member has told me:

The one on the left is unmistakeably a breadfruit, the leaf is even accurately drawn.

So that matches what THCoins told me. I'll take that as a consensus now for "number 1" on my image. Breadfruit it is!