News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Counterfeit 2 euro Germany 2005 J

Started by eurocoin, September 16, 2023, 01:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eurocoin

While checking the change of someone, I found something interesting today. A counterfeit 2 euro Germany 2005 J. It is the first time ever that I come across a counterfeit euro coin. The piece has a strange appearance and when I saw the date (2005 J), I immediately knew that that was a year that was not minted for general circulation, it was only released in sets. It is a rather crude fake. The piece also only has a reeded edge, without lettering.

On the reverse, there is clearly visible that the minting dies clashed, as the eagle can be seen behind the figure 2.

377290940_130924806767836_843862819832060020_n.jpg377322181_1055855329191852_446160112854459287_n.jpg

377298769_246113704579583_6094753747207999390_n.jpg

chrisild

Pretty as in pretty poor, yes. ;) Then again, if I was in a hurry, or if it was relatively dark etc., I may well have accepted that too. And then put aside as learning material or for entertainment purposes ...

eurocoin

I find counterfeit coins quite fascinating and have been studying them for years. So, it is interesting to find one myself. In terms of quality, the reverse is quite ok, the obverse is a mess though. I wonder what caused the scratches on both sides (marked in red). Of course the lines in green are the impression of the lines on the obverse that was caused by the die clash. I wonder whether the lines in red could be polishing marks (abrasion), that occured as the counterfeiters tried to erase the marks left by the die clash. Furthermore I wonder why the surface of the figure 2 is pitted. On the reverse there is visible that the obverse die was rotated when the dies clashed, and the piece I found also has a rotation. Although I have not been able to link it to a known counterfeiting ring yet, I think it was likely made in Germany. It will be interesting to see whether other pieces turn up.

scratches-min.jpg

Figleaf

Congratulations with an interesting find. Your contacts in the EU may be interested as well.

A long time ago, I developed an economic model (be warned, economic models do not reflect emotion) for fraud. In this model, the decision to commit fraud depends on
  • the net amount gained by the fraud
  • the chance of getting caught
  • the present value of the income stream lost while in prison
Obviously, in this case, the proceeds of the fraud are very small, assuming the fraudster distributes the fakes himself. Chances of getting caught are medium, but low if they operate outside the EU in a country with a weak legal system. If they increase the number of fakes produced, cost (distributing agents) and chance of getting caught (border control) increases exponentially.

It is therefore likely that the present value of the income stream lost while in prison is low. Think of e.g. unemployed and no social security or low-paid dirty or dangerous job.

Bring in emotion and you get to add fringe cases ranging from being bored or over-self assured and wanting to see if you can get away with to hatred of the job or community of the fraudster.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

chrisild

Just saw a Reuters video (in German) about problems with euro counterfeits in Kosovo. See here or here for example. (The second page also has pretty much all the text from the video.) Kosovo is not in the euro area but uses the currency. According to the video, the €2 denomination is the major issue. One parking operator does not even accept the "two-ers" any more.

eurocoin

Very interesting that there is now finally attention for this. The problem of counterfeit 2 euro coins in Kosovo (and also Montenegro) is indeed enormous. This has escalated completely out of control and I am not even sure how they would be able to solve it. The problem is way worse than it ever was in the UK, and that was already very bad.

eurocoin

A few days ago, the find of another piece of this type was reported anonymously on a German Facebook group. It was more than likely found in Germany. The piece was likely minted after the one that I found, as the obverse die clearly appears to be more worn.

Counterfeit Germany 2 euro 2005 J (1).jpg

Counterfeit Germany 2 euro 2005 J (2).jpg

Counterfeit Germany 2 euro 2005 J (3).jpg