Sassanian coin id help pls - Khusro I - solved

Started by Amit Kher, May 06, 2023, 03:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amit Kher

looks to be a Khusru/ Khusro I, but could it be a fake?
unfortunately no dimensions were available on the listing
just now bought it for $7, hoping the low price is an error by the seller & not because it's a fake  ;D

pls help

Manzikert

It looks OK to me, though a weight and diameter would help. I think the mint is WHYC (uncertain in Fars or Central Iraq) and the date is year 44 (though the right end of the date is a little unclear, it is definitely in the later 40's).

A very nice buy for $7. ;)

Alan

Amit Kher

Thanks Alan for the good news 😊

Amit Kher

received details from seller -
Weight: 4.13 gm
Diameter: 29mm

Manzikert

Weight and diameter are both reassuring.

Alan

Amit Kher

Quote from: Manzikert on May 08, 2023, 10:40:18 PMWeight and diameter are both reassuring.

Alan

finally got the coin
the actual dimensions:
Diameter: 31.97 mm
Weight: 4.03 gm
Thickness: 1.01 mm

Manzikert

Again, all three acceptable for a genuine piece.

Alan

Amit Kher

Amit Kher

hi Alan, haven't been able to find "WHYC" mint for any Khusro I coin, neither in Numista nor at - http://grifterrec.rasmir.com/sasania/sasanian.html

one coin in zeno with WHYC yr 32 - https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=54212

any other reference that i should look at?

Manzikert

Well, Numista is very patchy, so I'm not surprised it isn't there, but Zeno 54212 is Khusro I, WHYC so I'd think that would do as a reference.

Also, there is a year 5 example on Grifter, just listed as WH though it clearly reads WHYC, and a year 12 WHYC (rather weak in the centre of the mintmark) on page 2 of the Khusro I listings.

There are other catalogues of the series but not that I know of online: I have the Bank Melli (Tehran) catalogue but it is in store at the moment so it may be up to 10 days before I can get to it, but I will see what they have when I can.

Alan

Amit Kher

thanks a lot Alan, will try to get the reference in place at Numista

shiblius

The mint is WYH (the inscription is missing the C at the end - the last letter flatlines whereas for a C there should be an inward loop almost like a closing parenthesis). The date seems to be 46 (ShShChHL) (ref: zeno).