Comments on: "Accession and coronation of HM King Charles III"

Started by chrisild, September 20, 2022, 11:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisild

Quote from: eurocoin on September 20, 2022, 07:14:02 PM
Gambia 200 dalasis 2022 King Charles III (1).jpgGambia 200 dalasis 2022 King Charles III (2).jpg

Gambia, 200 dalasis, 2022. Accession of King Charles III.

The effigy on the gold piece I do not find very appealing. Looks like a mix of Charles and some late Juan Carlos portraits. ;) Now on UK coinage, Charles will probably look to the other side. But this being a Gambian collector coin ...

chrisild

Seems that Malta issues several kinds of coins and "coins". They have their own collection (2022 here), but also "Collaboration Products". (The "Melita" bullion pieces show up in both categories.) Their own collector coins apparently use the country name and the country's CoA. Other pieces, such as the one above (with the central bank's name and logo), do not do that. Strange.

Besides, even if these positions (Charles looking to the left, Elizabeth to the right) reflect what is done on British coins, the combination looks a little weird. ;D

chrisild

Seems to be somewhat difficult to get two "good" royal faces. ;) The Sierra Leone coin has a nice portrait of Elizabeth but a bad one of Charles. As for Gambia, I like the way Charles is shown, and the idea of having a smaller Elizabeth on the left is fine, but her portrait on that coin ... nah.

krishna

There seems to be no agreement on how Charles really looks

Each of the portraits depicts Charles in a seperate set of constipated expressions

Charles has a unique distinction of being the first colonyless British monarch after 400 years (not sure about the number but after a very long time)

krishna

Quote from: eurocoin on March 12, 2023, 06:50:09 AM
Guernsey 50 pence 2023 Coronation of HM King Charles III-min.jpg

Guernsey, 50 pence, 2023. Coronation of HM King Charles III.

Awesome designs, Charles looks quite smart on the Obverse

What is the significance of these items in the reverse. Will Charles get to play with these items after being coronated?

krishna

Quote from: eurocoin on March 26, 2023, 02:46:43 PM
Niue 1 dollar 2023 Coronation of HM King Charles III (1).jpgNiue 1 dollar 2023 Coronation of HM King Charles III (2).jpg

Niue, 1 dollar, 2023. Coronation of HM King Charles III.
That 1oz 999 silver, could have been placed at a less prominent place, spoils the beauty of the coin

chrisild

Quote from: eurocoin on April 08, 2023, 02:00:38 PMNiue, 1 dollar, 2023. Coronation of HM King Charles III.

Are those two effigies supposed to be ... portraits? ;D

eurocoin

I was not planning to comment on the quality of the portraits. Although many are indeed not that good, at least it would be possible to guess who was depicted. However, the portrait of Camilla on the coins of Congo and Cameroon looks very bad. A completely different woman. I was unable to find any photo of Camilla in which she looked even remotely like what is depicted on the coin. Emporium-Merkator should send a pair of glasses to whoever made that design for them.

krishna

Quote from: eurocoin on April 08, 2023, 02:00:38 PM
Niue 1 dollar 2023 Coronation of HM King Charles III (2)-min.jpgNiue 1 dollar 2023 Coronation of HM King Charles III (1)-min.jpg

Niue, 1 dollar, 2023. Coronation of HM King Charles III.

That doesn't look like Elizabeth
More like a model posing for a fashion photograph

chrisild

Quote from: krishna on April 09, 2023, 02:53:25 PMThat doesn't look like Elizabeth
More like a model posing for a fashion photograph
That is what I thought too. And as for Charles, the part above the neck is OK, the part below is OK, but the proportions just do not fit. ::)

krishna

Quote from: eurocoin on April 08, 2023, 11:48:26 PM
Congo, 10 francs, 2023. Coronation of HM King Charles III (1)-min.jpgCongo, 10 francs, 2023. Coronation of HM King Charles III (2).jpg

Congo, 10 francs, 2023. Coronation of HM King Charles III.
Camilla is smiling so gleefully, as if she has finally achieved her evil objective
The orientation of Charles's head is in the wrong direction,  implying that camilla is the monarch now

Bimat

I'm quite sure New Zealand could have done better...

I'm also trying to find relation between Cameroon, Congo etc. with King Charles III.. ::)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

eurocoin

Quote from: Bimat on April 16, 2023, 09:07:48 AMI'm also trying to find relation between Cameroon, Congo etc. with King Charles III.. ::)

Cameroon is part of the Commonwealth and has been using the portrait of the head of the Commonwealth on the obverse of a few of its collectors coins in recent years. A collectors coin to commemorate the coronation of HM King Charles II, the new head of the Commonwealth, can be justified to some extent. Congo and Senegal indeed have no relevant ties whatsoever to the UK or the Commonwealth.

<k>

Quote from: Bimat on April 16, 2023, 09:07:48 AMI'm quite sure New Zealand could have done better...

I'm also trying to find relation between Cameroon, Congo etc. with King Charles III.. ::)

See: British Cameroons (1916–61) and French Cameroun (1916–60).

From Britannica.

In World War I British, French, and Belgian troops drove the Germans into exile, beginning a period of British rule in two small portions and French rule in the remainder of the territory. These League of Nations mandates (later United Nations [UN] trusts) were referred to as French Cameroun and British Cameroons.

The British trust territory consisted of a strip of land bisected by the Benue River along the eastern border of Nigeria. British rule was a period of neglect, and this, coupled with the influx of numerous Nigerians, caused great resentment.

After World War II, developments in Cameroon and Europe brought about independence. In British Cameroons the major question was whether to remain with Nigeria or to unite with the newly independent Republic of Cameroon. In a UN-supervised plebiscite in February 1961, the south decided to unite with the former French Cameroun, creating the Federal Republic of Cameroon. The north voted to join the Federation of Nigeria.

From Wikipedia:

Upon reunification with French Cameroon, Anglophone Cameroonians made up about 20% of the federal population. Their French counterparts made up a majority at 80 percent.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Figleaf

Recently, a francophone source made me aware that Kinshasa is considered the largest French-speaking city in the world. A whiff of research (Wikipedia) brought to light that the dominant language is in Kinshasa is Lingala, though a number of other local languages and dialects is also spoken. However, French is the language of Kinshasa's elite. Since that little incident I distrust language statistics out of Africa.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.