A Chinese painting

Started by Amitav, May 02, 2023, 11:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amitav

I had recently purchased this painting on a bamboo plate. Looks like a Chinese painting.
Would appreciate if someone can help me identify the period of this made when it was made as some inscriptions are seen on the left side of the painting along with a small red seal on it...it's very tiny..only I could see by a magnifying glass.

Thanks

Figleaf

Try contacting SquareEarth by PM. The red seal is the artist's "signature". It is likely to be unreadable.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Amitav

Thank you Peter. I had contacted SquareEarth at PM...
Also will try to attach zoom in part of the inscription here.
How do I send him the picture as I couldn't find to attach the picture at PM.

Regards,
Anitav

Figleaf

Sorry Amitav. The software doesn't allow attachments. You'll need to get his email addy.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Amitav

Okay Peter. Thank you.
I had wrote to him and sent home the link of the post...let's see when he can reply.

Regards,
Amitav

SquareEarth

Not Ming dynasty, but modern poet.

恆娥早悔偷靈藥,
碧海青天恨渺綿。
玉宇瓊樓寒不勝,
雲深桂馥自年年。

Chang E has long regretted stealing the elixir,

Her remorse drips forever over the azur mains and blue sky.

Mansions and palaces of fine jade brings her an insufferable chill,

Fragrance of the lunar laurel fades away, years and years on, alone in the deep clouds.

By Fang Zidan (方子丹,1910-2006)

1)  https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/方子丹 There is a bigraphy of the calligrapher here.

2)  https://www.reddit.com/r/translator/comments/xj6uc0/chinese_english_old_chinese_poem/
There is a clearer image of the same piece here. Was it from you?

3) The poem is about the moon Goddess Chang E.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chang%27e

She was said to have stolen the elixir of immortality, and as a result, ascended to the moon, and dwelves in her lunar palaces alone.

She was assumed to be lonely and unhappy there. With only a lunar rabbit and a laurel tree accompanying her.
Tong Bao_Tsuho_Tong Bo_Thong Bao

SquareEarth

Figleaf

@SquareEarth :thumbsup:

Nice piece of culture. Detail: the rabbit also figures in the Chinese zodiac. It is often equated with the rabbit on the moon.

Peter

SquareEarth

The rabbit is often replaced by a cat in Vietnam zodiacs.

⬇️This 10000 Dong zodiac coin, look at the little beast at 7 o'clock.

Figleaf

Don't they have difficulties distinguishing cat and tiger

Peter

Amitav

Thanks a lot SquareEarth. I was unable to solve this. Thank you again for giving all the details beautifully.

Even me, I am sorry to check out late.

Best Regards