News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

F & B (Canteen) Token: The Colaba Land and Mills Co. Ltd. - Canteen Token 1 Anna

Started by asm, April 20, 2023, 01:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asm

F & B (Canteen) Token: The Colaba Land and Mills Co. Ltd.
Inscription in Hindi: The Colaba Land and Mills Ltd    REVERSE: Canteen Token 1 (value in digits in both Hindi and English)
Value: 1 Anna
Square Token with rounded edges and Hole in the center.
Metal: Brass Weight: 3 g. Size: 20.5 mm X 20.5 mm
About the Mill: The Colaba Land and Mills Co. Ltd. (I am not sure of this was the name of the Mill when it was established) is an Indian public company incorporated on 01 July 1880. The Mills were ordered to be wound up and an official liquidator was appointed sometime in the late 1960's. Since then the Mill has been involved in real estate and renting business.

Amit

Coloba Land And Mills - Copy - Copy.jpg
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Alex Island

Quote from: asm on April 20, 2023, 01:09:46 PMF & B (Canteen) Token: The Colaba Land and Mills Co. Ltd.
Inscription in Hindi: The Colaba Land and Mills Ltd

This is a good token! I want to clarify whether this token belongs to the island of the same name? What other tokens with names can be found? :
All islands around the world & islands coin

Figleaf

It does look like a textile mill canteen token, with its denomination, the looks of a circulating coin and the central hole.

Had a frustrating experience trying to find this old Bombay mill, but did want to give you this link. I hope it helps in future research.

Peter

An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

krishna

Quote from: Alex Island on April 20, 2023, 02:06:34 PMThis is a good token! I want to clarify whether this token belongs to the island of the same name? What other tokens with names can be found? :

Yes ofcourse, it is colaba the former island at that time

Alex Island

Quote from: krishna on April 20, 2023, 06:53:15 PMYes ofcourse, it is colaba the former island at that time

Thanks, that's interesting! Is it possible to see tokens with the names of the other six islands of Mumbai?
All islands around the world & islands coin

asm

Quote from: Alex Island on April 20, 2023, 07:41:05 PMThanks, that's interesting! Is it possible to see tokens with the names of the other six islands of Mumbai?
I do not remember having heard of any other Mill with the name of the other islands. Mazgaon Docks do exist and could be that they had issued tokens. I've seen tokens of a few Naval / Military facilities and will now keep an eye open in case there is any.

Amit

asm

Quote from: Figleaf on April 20, 2023, 05:05:41 PMIt does look like a textile mill canteen token, with its denomination, the looks of a circulating coin and the central hole.

Had a frustrating experience trying to find this old Bombay mill, but did want to give you this link. I hope it helps in future research.
Peter
This Mill has an interesting history - and is even today a Haunted place..... will come back with more, soon.

Amit

asm

Here is what I could find:

The Colaba Land and Mills Co. Ltd., a public company incorporated on 01 July 1880 was in the business reclaiming land in Colaba Island for warehousing. At the same time, the area was being developed into a port for cotton. Colaba Mills, now called Mukesh Mills is located just besides the Main Sassoon Docks market. It is said that Muljibhai Madhvani, had established a large factory in Bombay, which was this Colaba Mills. It was the only mill in South Bombay at that time. The mill itself had a large private dock where the boats came to unload the bales of cotton and load yards of finished cloth. These were then ferried to the larger ships that were in outer anchorage in the Arabian Sea.
The Mills were ordered to be wound up and an official liquidator was appointed sometime in the late 1960's. It is now owned by Bangalore based Agrawal Family (Bhoruka Group). This mill was closed on 18th January 1982 during the year-long textile mill strike. The owners of the mill applied for an official closure of the mills but the permission was denied by the government. A few months later a large fire broke out in the mills and it was permanently closed and since then the Mill property has been involved in real estate and renting business. It is reported that many workmen had perished in the fire. There have been various attempts to develop this 10 acres of prime area into a commercial or residential property but this has been stalled due to opposition from the Indian Navy as INS Shikra lies just behind it.
Now the interesting part - After the fire, the mill premises have been used by many film production houses to shoot movies, commercials and photo shoots. In the decades since Colaba's landmark Mukesh Mills (Colaba Mills) fell into disrepair following the fire, images of its destroyed roofs, moss-encrusted walls and windows pop up even today on all of "Mumbai's most haunted" lists. The mill compound has been shut since 2019 after the BMC issued a notice stating its structures have grown far too weak. Yet, rumours say the mill remains occupied...by tenants of the otherworldly kind. These 'ghosts' are believed to still float through its empty corridors. Humans who have happened to walk in the mill compound have often borne witness to unexplained phenomena like strange sounds, echoing footsteps and moving shadows. Many people including the film crews have reported that the area is haunted. It is said that neither the directors nor the crew are ready to work there after sunset.

mukesh-mills-2.webp

Amit

Figleaf

That explains a lot. I found plenty on Mukesh, but you added some key elements. The original intention of reclaiming land and building a textile port sounds pharaonic and logical, but also a bit impractical, unless you add a bridge or dam and preferably a rail track - it reminds me of a Chinese project of building a port, steel plant and railroad I followed decades ago; they forgot to add a power plant to the project. The double purpose also aptly explains the "land and mills" part of the name.

The factory chimney in the picture is interesting. It says "coal-fired power and machines inside". The plant was transforming fiber into yarn, yarn into cloth or both. Your investigations related to other tokens will undoubtedly give you more insight into why the textile trade withered in the 1960's. I started working in the 1970's and at that time, India was still a redoubtable textile power.

The ghost story gave me a brilliant idea to re-develop the land: a ghost themed amusement park, where you can buy tokens on entry, inspired by your token, that will buy stuff inside. The ghosts would approve. ;)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Bimat

Beautiful token!

Wonder how much you could buy with this 1 anna in those days? Perhaps one full meal?

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.