Belgium Medal Leopold II. 1879

Started by Medalstrike, January 20, 2010, 06:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medalstrike

Leopold II. Roi des Belges
Ville de Bruxelles / Concours de Betail Gras 1879

gold-plated, 51mm, 42.7g
P.Hart

award for a splendid bull / the 1. price.

Leopold II, 1835-1909 from the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha was until 1865, Duke of Brabant and prince of Belgium.
He succeeded his father Leopold I. to the throne of the Kingdom of Belgium. From 1865 to 1909 he was king of the Belgians.
Leopold II was considered an excellent diplomat and businessman.
During his reign, there occurred many atrocities in the Congo, where he founded the Land of the Belgian Congo,
which he was personally owns 1885 and 1908.
At that time, was exported from the Congo, especially ivory and rubber.
1908, the vast territory owned by the Belgian government and was renamed as part of it, in the Belgian Congo.
During the Franco-German War 1870-71 he was in favor of the neutrality of his country,
and he managed to keep out of the Belgium military operations.
Leopold died on 17 December 1909 as a largely isolated from other European monarch.
Leopold II was buried in the crypt of the Church of Our Lady of Laeken in Brussels.

Need Info to P.Hart

Dietmar
The third side of a medal rests in the eye of the beholder

ghipszky

Wow Dietmar,
This one is simply gorgeous. I love medals.
Ginger

Figleaf

Sorry, I haven't found anything on P. Hart other than that he made many more medals. Your best chance is to find a copy of Forrer's Biographical dictionary of medallists: coin-, gem-, and seal-engravers, mint-masters, &c., ancient and modern, with references to their works: B.C. 500 - A.D. 1900 in a library not too far away from you.

Amusingly, bétail gras (fat cattle) is cattle raised for meat. That puts an odd light on the beehive...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

bart

About the first medal: there still is a contest for "bétail gras" in Brussels. It is held in Anderlecht and it is still called a contest for "De Vette Os" (the fat ox).
Butchers pay a lot of money for the winner of this contest.

Here you see the winner of the contest of 2008.

Bart