News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

small Lakshmi token

Started by saro, March 31, 2023, 05:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saro

It's the smallest hindu token I possess... copper 0,78g / 13,7mm  no legend
token Lakshmi.JPG
token Lakshmi 2.JPG
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

THCoins

krishna

Seems like the 90s crudely minted temple token

saro

I have no real idea... crudely struck  this small token shows a genuine nice patina : I would say years 1950'.
I obtained it 30 years ago, so it is not later than 1990  ;)

Figleaf

Not a talkative piece. I found T S on the flanks of the lotus. Latin characters.

Diameter is vaguely reminiscent of the broze pie coins issued 1906-1940, but much lighter. Pre-1948, I think and I like the idea of a temple offering token.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

saro

Quote from: Figleaf on April 02, 2023, 10:47:54 PMI found T S on the flanks of the lotus. Latin characters.
I didn't notice that  :applause:  : probably maker's initials ?

krishna

Quite a sharp eye (T and S marks )
The coin is surely from a south indian temple as it has Lord Venkateshwara (main deity ofvthe tirupati temple) on one side and Goddess Lakshmi on the other

Figleaf

On the theory that the token is inspired by a circulation coin, but with a different design, I tried to find a copper with similar technical characteristics. FWIW, I found this coin. On the positive side, it would confirm South India and produces an acceptable date range (1849-1860). On the negative side, the denomination was rarely used in Travancore.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.