News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Late Roman AE with casting tail

Started by Pellinore, March 18, 2023, 11:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pellinore

This tiny Roman coin happens to be in very fine condition, but I bought it because its obvious tail, a symptom of casting the blank I'm sure.

Theodosius I (379-395), AE4, Thessalonica 388-393. With casting tail.
Obv. Laureate, draped cuirassed bust right. DN THEODO-SIVS P F AVG. Rev. Victory advancing left, head turned back, carrying trophy and dragging captive. SALVS REIPVBLICAE. Exergue: TESB. 14/ 16.5 mm, 1.40 gr.
Reverse a bit weaker than the obverse. Wildwinds: "RIC IX, page 187, 65 b3 (s) Scarce. Cohen 30."

-- Paul
2859 ew.jpg

Spaniard

That's a cool coin...Usually these tags were trimmed off..Neat find!

Manzikert

I have a coin of Constantine the Great which has a similar extraneous piece of metal on one edge, though in this case it looks as if the blank had been heated too much before striking, so that it looks as if some softer metal has been squeezed out.

I am honestly stumped by this piece, which I bought for its curious appearance not condition. It is definitely not a casting sprue as it is quite thin and there appear to be an impression of the edge beading on the outer end of the 'tail'. Any other suggestions for the mechanism gratefully received.

Constantine I, the Great, follis, London, RIC 10(c), 3.00 gm, 21x24 mm

Alan

Figleaf

I can think of two scenarios for Manzikert's coin.

• The coin was handled with (wooden?) tweezers when it had not yet been cooled or when in general it was still too hot to be handled.
  • The mould was leaky.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Manzikert

I am confident this coin was struck, not cast, which is why I am so puzzled by it.

There is no sign of a mould join or 'flash' anywhere else on the edge, which would indicate a cast, especially if the supposed mould edge was leaky.

Alan

ghipszky

I find these coins really interesting and unique. I look for things like this. As long the coin itself has all of its inscriptions and you can easily read them. Nice find.
Ginger

Pellinore

Thanks. A well preserved coin, so probably taken out of circulation soon.