The Petner token of Philadelphia

Started by brandm24, March 17, 2023, 03:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brandm24

This token drew my attention for two reasons. The surname Petner is familiar to me and the misspelling of Orthodox as Orthodax.

It was listed by the seller as having   come from Frankford, Pennsylvania. It's actually a Philadelphia piece issued by a business located in the Frankford neighborhood of the city. My wife grew up in Mayfair, an adjoining neighborhood, so she's very familiar with the area.

While Petner is well known for the funeral home founded by Edward J. in 1939, no business listed to an A. Petner could be found. My wife was also unaware of any other business run by the family, but it likely predated the funeral home business at 6421 Frankford Ave

Since Orthodox and Frankford merge just south of E.J. Petner's location it seems likely that A. and E.J. were related. Because of the low value of the token, it's possible that it could have been a bar or restaurant check...certainly not a funeral home operation though.

Images courtesy of Steve Hayden

BruceA Petner 1.jpgA Petner 2.jpg   
Always Faithful

Figleaf

It's a plot! E.J. gave them to A., who'd give them as a bonus to customers buying cigars and liquor, so their family would become E.J.'s clients! :wicked:

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

brandm24

"A" may have operated a florist too. The American Mafia did that often. I guess you could say they controlled the amount of money they made on their flowers by how active they were in their other "business". But then again I don't know nuttin...just speculatin' here. ;D

Bruce
Always Faithful

Figleaf

Somewhat more seriously, found Andrzej Petner (1864-1936), of Philadelphia, father of Stanley A., dentist. His grandson, Leonard A. Petner (note the middle initials. I bet they are all Andrzej or Andrew) is apparently still alive and living in the Philly area.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

brandm24

Great stuff, Peter. Andrzej may have been the issuer then...the years seem to fit. No hint of what trade he was in or if he owned a business?

Bruce
Always Faithful