News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Kidarite drachm in Sasanian style - 3

Started by Pellinore, March 12, 2023, 12:29:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pellinore

Number 3 of my Kidarites, and I bought it in the same windfall year 2014. Again a coin with a striking portrait obverse and a reverse that's less. People using this type of coin must have been flocking to the Kidarite Huns' lands! These large attractive silver pieces are much better, larger and much more attractive than the contemporary Sasanian drachms. Or, naturally, than those contemporary Romans, the tiny (laughable!) siliquas of an empire that was falling apart fast. We're talking about 400 AD, just let me know if there were any more attractive silver coins around in those days.

AR Kidarite drachm, about 400. Unknown king. Obv. Frontal bust with a leafy crown, topped with a poppy head leaning on a crescent moon. Hairballs at the sides of the king's head. Broad ribbons standing on the king's shoulders. No text. Rev. Fire altar with one assistant, left. To the right a large vase or bowl filled with branches. Under it, the word: 'pylwc' (according to Pfisterer) or 'Jadana' (according to Vondrovec). 29.5 mm, 4.00 gr. Göbl Hunnen 15. Pfisterer 15. Vondrovec I p. 32. Type 15 (not 15 A).

-- Paul

5706 w.jpg

Manzikert

Another beautiful full facing portrait: I am most envious. I just wish we knew more about these people (and their exact identities).

Alan