News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

T Spade counterstamp

Started by brandm24, March 05, 2023, 03:10:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brandm24

This is an unusual counterstamp recently auctioned by collector / researcher Robert Merchant. I know the man slightly from having business dealings with him and know him as one of the best researchers out there. Even he wasn't able to attribute this unusual stamp. These spade-like T stamps are struck on a heavily worn 1729-1739 English 1/2 Penny. The reverse is blank.

My initial thought was it may be a merchant issue but I'm very skeptical about that identification. It just doesn't "look" like one. I've seen many hundreds of them over the years and this one is highly unusual. The only other possibility that I can think of is an official mark of some type. Just a guess there.

If anyone can identify them or has any thoughts to share please do so. Many thanks.

Brucersz_729_1739_half_penny_t1.jpg
Always Faithful

Alex Island

I see that it looks like four hearts, I saw a vaguely similar token at an auction

All islands around the world & islands coin

brandm24

Thanks, Alex. That token looks familiar to me but probably no relation to the T Spade piece. Hearts are commonly seen stamped on coins but not with letters included.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Figleaf

Two punches were used. A used punch North and centre, a new punch East and West. The East strike failed partially, prolly because a part of the rim of the coin or token made the punch slip and skew. I think it was likely done by a jeweller (perhaps with a last name starting with T?) trying out his brand new punch for "signing" his bigger silver pieces on a poor halfpenny hammered flat.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Manzikert

I think all four were made by the same punch: see the faint continuation of the central stem below the 'T' (least obvious on the left one), the tiny continuation of the top bar to the right (least obvious on the right one) and the 'L' shaped flaw under the left foot of the 'T'.

Alan

FosseWay

I agree with Alan - they're all the same punch, but possibly applied with different amounts of force. Where on the host coin they are might affect the outcome as well.

Figleaf

The stem of the spade is clearly shorter on the old punch, on my screen 10 mm versus 14 mm on the new punch. I'll settle for re-engraved, but not for the same. These stems don't grow with water and sunshine. ;)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

FosseWay

For the one in the centre, I think it's just a weaker strike, which is why the T looks less well defined than on the ones either side. For the one at the top I don't think we can say anything about the "handle" of the spade, since it disappears off the edge of the flan.

The Ts are so alike, down to small imperfections/damage, that they must be the same stamp.

brandm24

Yes, hammer-struck counterstamps will have different looks depending on several factors as you all pointed out. Sometimes the force and angle of each hammer blow will vary and give each strike a different look. The remaining devices on the host can obscure or alter the look, so positioning matters too. That's why so many early counterstamps were applied to heavily worn coins.

Though probably not relevant in this case, the base the coin rests on is also important. A solid base will allow the force of the blow to impress the design more clearly. A softer base allows some of the force to dissipate and gives a softer impression and the possibility of die chatter.

In addition to the characteristics already discussed, I noticed a small spike just below the right shoulder of the T. It shows on all four impressions, though weakly on the right punch. I think they were all made with the same punch and small variations like those we've discussed are the cause of the slight differences.

Bruce
Always Faithful