Author Topic: Hadrian/Salus  (Read 1257 times)

constanius

Hadrian/Salus
« on: January 19, 2010, 05:15:26 AM »

Hadrian, AR 18mm. Denarius, 119-122, Rome IMP CAESAR TRAIAN H_ADRIANVS AVG Laureate, drapery on left shoulder & over back, bust right, P M TR P-COS III Salus seated left, feeding snake coiled round altar from patera in right hand SAL AVG in exergue. RIC 137

Offline ghipszky

• Honorary Member
Re: Hadrian/Salus
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 07:59:56 PM »
Another very fine coin.
Ginger

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 11:04:24 PM »
How can you tell it's Rome mint?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline lehmansterms

• The Ruth and Louise McCollum Memorial Collection of Ancient Coins
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 01:23:34 AM »
Peter,

I can't say that I am completely well-versed on just how these things were ascertained, but it's a quote from the RIC, etc.  We're speaking about the time of Hadrian  -the mint at Lugdunum, which had been for nearly a century the main mint for silver and gold while AE's continued to be struck nearly exclusively at Rome, was no longer striking the majority of AR and AV for the Empire at some time during the reign of Nero.
This re-centralization ocurred during the time of the Nero's debasement of the denarius.  After this time, evidently, Lugdunum's mint was either closed or used only sporadically, mostly for AE issues, through the Flavian Dynasty.  By the time of the Adoptives, Lugdunum seems no longer to be in operation and all Imperial issues seem to originate in Rome.   

Mark

Offline ghipszky

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 01:25:55 AM »
Thanks for the information Mark.
Ginger

Offline sminnoch

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 02:18:43 AM »
Virtually all of Hadrian's imperial coinage (all of the coinage from Domitian - Commodus for that matter) are assigned to Rome.   The uniformity of style within that period (at least within chronological peers) is such that it is certain that the overwhelming majority of imperial issues came from one mint. There are some rare pieces from Hadrian that would seem to have come from an eastern mint, but as I said are rare - I can only remember having seen one either in the flesh or in an image (posted on the FORVM board a while ago).

As to how he know whether that one mint is Rome - well, I am not certain, but I don't think there is any direct evidence.  Obviously there were no mintmarks during this period.  I think it is generally agreed that that mint must have been at Rome because it is the obvious place to have a single central mint, and there is a clear line in style leading towards the time that Rome was explicitly identified on coins struck there.

Actually there is one piece of evidence I can think of - although they didn't sign their names to coins after about AD 9  (I'd have to check the exact date) the position of moneyer is known from epigraphic evidence to existed until at least the reign of Trajan, and probably later.  It makes no sense to have this position if the mint of Rome was not in use - so it supports the identification of the one mint being at Rome.

Steve

Offline ghipszky

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 04:15:42 AM »
Thank you Steve.
Ginger