News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Moruroa island & Hiroshima island ; nuclear token

Started by Alex Island, February 11, 2023, 04:35:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex Island

Hiroshima is a descriptive name for "wide island". It also comes from the word hira (Jap. 平) - "flat" and the second hieroglyph is called "shima" meaning "island"

Mururoa (fr. Moruroa) is an atoll in the South Pacific Ocean, which became known after 1966 as the French nuclear test site. Mururoa is located in the southeast of the Tuamotu archipelago, belonging to French Polynesia.

This strange badge with a sticker apparently related to protests against nuclear testing and against nuclear war. Anyway, he mentions two famous islands:

De Hiroshima A Moruroa Pas D'Essais Nucleaires1 De Hiroshima A Moruroa Pas D 'Essais Nucleaires 1000.jpg
All islands around the world & islands coin

chrisild

Hmm, the city of Hiroshima is not actually an island "by itself". It is part of an island (Honshu), but that is a big island where Tokyo and Kyoto for example are as well. The city's territory includes some minor islands, but "Hiroshima Island" just does not sound right. ;)

Alex Island

Quote from: chrisild on February 11, 2023, 04:51:01 PM"Hiroshima Island" just does not sound right. ;)

Historically, this name was justified by geography and origin.

Alex Island

In general, the artistic heritage in numismatics regarding nuclear tests on Moruroa is quite curious, and I did such interesting research:

Alex Island

Alex Island

I looked in my warehouse and found two more images of two items:

Alex Island

Quote from: Alex Island on February 11, 2023, 04:35:57 PMThis strange badge with a sticker apparently related to protests against nuclear testing and against nuclear war. Anyway, he mentions two famous islands:

De Hiroshima A Moruroa Pas D'Essais Nucleaires1 De Hiroshima A Moruroa Pas D 'Essais Nucleaires 1000.jpg

Now I see a second type of token, but on a 25 Canadian cent coin 1973 :