Hot on the Heels of History: a Sasanian overstrike

Started by Pellinore, February 23, 2023, 10:19:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pellinore

Small change like this is rare in itself: a coin of the King of the Sasanian empire, Varhran V (420-438), also known as the Bahram Gur of many much-embellished stories.

This is however an overstrike: for a flan a small Roman coin was used of the fourth century. You may recognize the lower side of an emperor's bust with the folds of a draped cloak held with a clasp, and at the left side some letters, starting with DN - Dominus Noster, a title of the emperor (not a prince of secundary rank). At the other side I can see something, lines or spears maybe, but it's not very clear.

This is the seller's picture, it's Zeno 273771.

5109 sw.jpg

Now I'd like to know more about the Roman understrike, and here are pictures that I hope may enable you to see what it is, turned the way of the Roman coin.

The letter after DN is unclear to me. Could it be anything else than the first letter of the emperor's name - another title? I hope you can help!

Technical description: Varhran V (420-438), AE pashiz. Obv. Crowned bust to the right, symbol or letters in front of face. Rev. Fire altar with bystanders, bust in front of the fire. Overstruck on Roman bronze coin. 17.5-19.5 mm, 1.69 gr. Bought on a Parscoins auction in May, 2021.

The face of the Roman emperor was obliterated with the fire altar. On the reverse of the Roman coin, the head of Shah Varhran V has been applied.

-- Paul

5109a 400.jpg

5109b 400-98.jpg 

Manzikert

A most interesting piece: I would suggest this Honorius VIRTVS EXERCITI type.

I think the next two letters on the obverse are HO.. which suggests Honorius (393-423), and there seem to be two figures on the reverse, the left holding a long staff or sceptre, which also fits, as does the date of this piece (395-402) which gives it time to move East..

Alan

Pellinore

A very sensible suggestion, Manzikert, Honorius it must be - DNHO - and Virtus Exerciti seems probable! I had thought that left pole might fly a pennant, but it could very well be an arm, too. And I can see the head turned to the right.
Yes, that must be the solution! Thank you!
-- Paul

Figleaf

Can I borrow some of your memory, Manzikert? I need it badly and will treat it well ;D

Paul's pictures are a good illustration of how carefully taken photos help the helpers.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Manzikert

There are vast gaps in it Peter, so I don't think it would help much ;D

My advantage is a very visual memory, and good pattern recognition: I often think 'I know I have seen that somewhere', then the memory says 'but where???' :(

Alan