Yazdegerd II drachm, mintless and undated

Started by Manzikert, January 27, 2023, 12:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manzikert

This is a recent acquisition, which the seller just identified as 'Yazdegerd II' without stating date or mint. As I only have one other Y. II drachm and it is in nice condition I bought it anyway.

On receipt I quickly found it is an example of a fairly large group which has the mint replaced by the word 'nwky', variously translated as 'adorer', 'new' or glorious', though I am going to stick with Grifter's simple 'good'.

It also has the word 'rast' or just' on the column of the altar on the reverse and a totally unreadable squiggle where the date would normally be.

The type is apparently not uncommon, see Zeno 215060, 219933, 234231 etc., but I think it is still a very nice piece. 4.15 gm, 30 mm.

Alan

THCoins

I had never heard of this quirky variant before. Thanks for showing !

Figleaf

A fun piece. It sounds like an imitation that was struck posthumously and/or in nearby areas finding itself in need of tried and trusted Sassanid silver. I find it very easy to agree with "I think it is still a very nice piece."

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Manzikert

All the examples I have found online seem to be regarded by their posters as legitimate sasanian issues not imitations, and the style seems perfectly consistent with other mintmarked examples, so I think it is just an anomalous issue from an established mint.

Alan