News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Medal with arms

Started by Henk, January 16, 2023, 12:13:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henk

I need help with this, I think this medal is from Belgium or France and fairly modern (20 th century) but is without text and I cannot find the arms. It is a silver disk, 32 mm with ornaments and a gold, or gilt, insert with crowned arms depicted. The reverse is blank except for three punches: 0,925 and D.F. and also a makers? mark.

Medaille.jpg Medaille detail.jpg 

brandm24

Would 0.925 be silver content of the medal? D.F. might be the maker's "signature" and the mark to the left his maker's mark.

Unfortunately, I don't recognize the coat of arms either.

Bruce
Always Faithful

eurocoin

This does not look Belgian to me. Possibly French, but I find Spanish or Portuguese more likely.

brandm24

Apparently, the 0.925 is the fineness of this sterling silver medal. The D.F.(Distrito Federal) indicates that it was made in Mexico City.

I've attached an image of the stamps on a soup ladle and the maker's mark to the left seems to look like yours.
Please take a look at the two and let me know what you think. The ladle was made by F. Ramirez c1940s / 1960s as that's his maker's mark. Unfortunately, I still can't identify the medal.

Bruce
Mexico.jpg
Always Faithful

Henk

That is a very good hint! The coat of arms is that of Mexico City. The marks are indeed similar but I am not sure they match. Probably the medal is some kind of souvenir, I do not think it is an "official" issue.

brandm24

I just checked on the marks again. From 1948 to 1980 the Mexican government required small eagle stamps be applied to all silver pieces. Other images I've seen show a highly stylized eagle, so I think both our marks are that stamp. That would tell us that the piece was made during this period. I also agree that the medal is a private issue.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Figleaf

The arms are crowned, so they are not the arms of Mexico city today, but the arms as they were in the times of the viceroyalty of New Spain (1521-1821). Since this period does not overlap with the period of the silver marks it is sure to be a souvenir.

As for the place of production, while Mexico city is a candidate, my preference would go to Taxco. This is a (former) mining city 170 kilometers from Mexico city that today lives on day tourism from the capital and production and sales of silver objects. The local silver workshops could easily handle bi-metallic manufacturing and the more financially challenged tourists would be interested in small silver-based souvenirs. Mexico city souvenir dealers would be more interested in handling el-cheapo stuff.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

brandm24

From what I found the D.F.is the designation for Mexico City. Since I found almost nothing about F. Ramirez I can't be sure where the company was located but there are some indications that it may have been in Mexico City.

Bruce
Always Faithful