News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Erik the robot

Started by Figleaf, January 14, 2023, 11:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

Erik the robot dispensed a token to paying customers (I can read "I Will speak your weight to you and deliver a lucky charm"  on belly level with a coin slot above) in Southend in 1936.

Erik.jpg

He is also seen briefly in an arcade in the 1937 film "Storm in a Teacup", where he proclaims Rex Harrison's weight to be 11 St., 6 Lbs and 4 Oz (around 72.5 kilograms, close to a known weight of 160 pounds.)

Peter

Erik.jpeg
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

eurocoin

The fragment in which the robot is shown between 48:19 and 48:58:
It is believed that the robot was not actually a scale, so that that part is not real.

brandm24

Made my day with this one.  :perfect:

Bruce
Always Faithful

Figleaf

Thank you, gentlemen. Glad to have found people who enjoy this sort of thing. That's the second time in a week I can link a token to a British film star! This shows clearly how the "value" of a numismatic item is emotional and not its price.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

brandm24

Quote from: Figleaf on January 15, 2023, 04:12:39 PMThank you, gentlemen. Glad to have found people who enjoy this sort of thing. That's the second time in a week I can link a token to a British film star! This shows clearly how the "value" of a numismatic item is emotional and not its price.

Peter
My approach to numismatics too. I never thought much about the monetary value of my collection. It was always about the history of each piece and what it represented.

Bruce
Always Faithful

eurocoin

The sentence appears to be: "Will speak to you and deliver a lucky charm", with 'Insert 1D' above it. As for the company Original Machine Manufacturers, according to some online sources it was led by John and Bernard Brenner. A few of the other machines, including a robot are listed here. In general I was unable to find any contemporary information about the company, the people who led it, and the robot though.

Figleaf

Quote from: eurocoin on January 15, 2023, 09:13:55 PM"Will speak to you and deliver a lucky charm"

Agreed. Thank you.

Peter

FosseWay

Here is another token dispensed by Erik, showing a wishbone. While investigating this one, I found a third on Token Catalog, showing an owl.

africancoins

For these tokens, I have seen (at least images) of the following obverses:- ship, horseshoe, four-leaf clover (looks like eight leaves), owl, wishbone and also, only seen offered once as yet, an elephant & castle design.

I would not read much into what http://tokencatalog.com/ says about pricing of these. Yes they are scarce but demand is relatively low. Bidding closed at 5.50 Pounds (plus usual costs) for a ship, is all I could find on closed bids on Ebay at present.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Figleaf