Unknown author with initials "m"

Started by Alex Island, January 10, 2023, 01:15:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex Island

If the author indicated in the title stopped publishing fantasies, according to my observations, back in 2016, then Vitaly Bakhtinov continues this competition. He is already close to victory. I just noticed his latest release:

Sala y Gómez island
All islands around the world & islands coin

<k>

His designs are very simplistic, just the sort of standard we see on many euro coins, regular and commemorative, in fact. I imagine that the eurocrats would welcome him with open arms.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

chrisild

Quote from: <k> on September 13, 2023, 02:43:48 PMI imagine that the eurocrats would welcome him with open arms.

Have not seen that "m" on any euro coin. And those who make the decisions about the national designs of euro coins are much more diverse than what some people seem to believe. As for Bakhtinov, his stuff is not new either, see this WoC topic for example, or this overview page.

Alex Island

Quote from: chrisild on September 13, 2023, 05:09:40 PMAs for Bakhtinov, his stuff is not new either, see this WoC topic for example, or this overview page.

Thanks for the addition chrisild. It should be noted that the topic began with the Aleutian Islands, for which the author issued as many as 5 different coins. At the same time, Vitaly Bakhtinov released only one. And on the other hand, I will note that I researched the topic of real commercial tokens on the Aleutian islands, and it is much broader and more interesting in geography, and these are real coins. And Bakhtinov's fantasy is in the photo:

Alex Island

I watch with curiosity the so-called, if you can call them that, "numismatic battles." Very heated battles took place around the islands of the archipelago and the Chagos Islands (BIOT).

An unknown author with the letter "m" was the first to make five options. After him, Bakhtinov made two of his own versions. And another author also released his own series on the same subject.

So, first let's see what the author made with the letter "m":

Danger Island - Chagos islands
Diego Garcia Island - Chagos Archipelago
Egmont Islands (Six iles) - Chagos Archipelago
Nelsons Island - Chagos Archipelago
Peros Banhos Atoll - Chagos Archipelago

Here are the photos in order:

Alex Island

Vitaly Bakhtinov made two issues on this topic: 2015 & 2019

Alex Island

And now a third, also unknown, author has joined the topic, making the following series of coins in 2017: also 5 coins

This is a real numismatic competition!  8)  :o  ;D

Diego Garcia Island
Eagle Islands
Egmont Islands
Nelsons Islands
Peros Banhos Island

chrisild

Some of those pseudo or fantasy coins have really nice designs in my opinion. :like: The problem I have with some of them: There are lots of official "legal tender" issues for sparsely populated or uninhabited British territories, not necessary as means pf payment of course, but still with some kind of governmental seal of approval. Experts will know what is kosher and what is not; others (myself included) do not ...

Alex Island

Quote from: chrisild on September 14, 2023, 12:03:51 PMSome of those pseudo or fantasy coins have really nice designs in my opinion. :like:

I don't yet know how to react to this, and what opinion proper numismatists should have about this. I think it's modern entertainment. If readers are interested, then I can continue publishing such studies.

<k>

Quote from: chrisild on September 14, 2023, 12:03:51 PMThere are lots of official "legal tender" issues for sparsely populated or uninhabited British territories, not necessary as means pf payment of course, but still with some kind of governmental seal of approval. Experts will know what is genuine and what is not; others (myself included) do not.

The first clue is that this topic is in the Fantasies sub-board. Any pieces shown in it are therefore fantasies.

I created a special topic to show the British Overseas Territories.

A special sub-board includes a few of the lesser ones: British outposts.

And there is a special sub-board for the British Crown Dependencies.

Really, there isn't a lot to know. Mind you, chrisild is rather dyslexic. If he sees the words Germany and Tuscany in a single sentence, he gets confused and has to spend a few minutes wondering which one is his home country. Poor chrisild.  :(
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

chrisild

Quote from: <k> on September 14, 2023, 12:49:48 PMIf he sees the words Germany and Tuscany in a single sentence, he gets confused and has to spend a few minutes wondering which one is his home country. Poor chrisild.  :(

Ha, it gets better – next year (probably Feb) I will briefly be in Cincinnati where they have a quarter called "Over The Rhine". In neighboring Covington, KY (on the other bank of the Ohio River) there is a "Mainstrasse Village", and so on. A local maker of beers (brrr) and other beverages calls itself Rheingeist. Maybe that area is my true home. ;D

As for official vs non-official pieces, yes, of course I can tell them apart when I see them posted or listed here. ::) That is not the difficult part.

chrisild

Quote from: Alex Island on September 14, 2023, 12:12:32 PMI think it's modern entertainment.

Agreed. Some of those pieces may actually be available locally (as souvenirs), others will have been made for collectors only. Would not buy them myself, but yes, seeing them here is certainly welcome as far as I am concerned. :)

Alex Island

Yes I agree.  :)
So you can continue this fun exploration. Battle for the Yap Islands.
Vitaly Bakhtinov has not yet taken part in it, but there are two other unknown competitors from the fantasy world.
The author conventionally designated as the letter "m" or "martin" was seen in the production of a series with denominations of 1, 10, 25 and 35 dollars (2012).
Another unknown author produced only one $3 coin (2016).
And the third author produced a whole series with a variety of denominations (2020).
All this in the photographs:

Alex Island

It is known that there coins of Aceh.

And this author released a series of fantasies pointing not just to Aceh, but also to the island of Simeulue. I wonder to what extent the kingdom of Aceh was actually located specifically on this island? According to information from the encyclopedia, several islands participated in this state... And it is believed that the main territory is the northern part on the island of Sumatra.
Then I wonder why the coat of arms says "Simeulue Island"?  :)

Alex Island

Vitaly Bakhtinov continues the competition:

Agalega Islands, fantasy 2012 & 2023