News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Chetland islands

Started by Alex Island, January 05, 2023, 07:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex Island

Probably meant Shetland Islands ; but it turned out what happened. Or is it about something else?
All islands around the world & islands coin

<k>

Yes, it must mean Shetland. The photo shows a Shetland collie.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Alex Island

Quote from: <k> on January 05, 2023, 07:44:22 PMYes, it must mean Shetland. The photo shows a Shetland collie.

Thanks, that's what I thought. And the sheep are probably also from there, in which the famous either milk or wool

FosseWay

And Sealtainn is the Gaelic for Shetland (and it's spelled right!). But Gaelic hasn't been spoken in the Northern Isles since before the Vikings came there 1200 years ago. Shetland's native language was Norn, descended from Old Norse with English influence.

chrisild

No idea why the pieces say "Chetland". ;D  As for Gaelic, interestingly it seems to be "alive" (somewhat) on the other side so to say, in the Outer Hebrides. A Scottish singer who I like, Julie Fowlis, is from there and grew up bilingually ...

eurocoin

Designed by a Russian, Vitaly Bakhtinov.

Alex Island

Quote from: eurocoin on January 05, 2023, 11:14:30 PMDesigned by a Russian, Vitaly Bakhtinov.

I searched the Internet for information about this coin designer, because I already see about 200 of his various works in numismatics. But so far I have not seen any information about him and this work anywhere. Who knows about it?

eurocoin

Here is his Facebook that includes photos of him.  It also mentions that he is from Bryansk.

https://m.facebook.com/vitaliy.bnov

Alex Island

Quote from: eurocoin on May 19, 2023, 12:51:46 PMHere is his Facebook that includes photos of him.  It also mentions that he is from Bryansk.

https://m.facebook.com/vitaliy.bnov

Thank you! This is interesting, only the latest information about his coins there dates back to 2015. And after that, he became so active in inventing coins that I see every month 2 or 4 new types of fantastic coins. There are no friends on his page, no photos, this is a strange situation..

eurocoin

I believe Facebook may be blocked in Russia these days. He is also active on VKontakte here.

Alex Island

Quote from: eurocoin on May 20, 2023, 10:01:32 AMI believe Facebook may be blocked in Russia these days. He is also active on VKontakte here.

Yes, I looked, thanks! And again, the same strange picture - his page seems abandoned and without friends, there is no information about coins except for one link to the site of one of the participants in this forum, who once posted some photos of his early works. There is no information about new coins in recent years.

Alex Island

To illustrate a little just on the subject of the British Isles - here are his latest works:

Rockall island (Scotland)
Outer Hebrides islands (Scotland)