Sassanian or Arab Sassanian - solved Arab Sassanian

Started by Amit Kher, December 21, 2022, 08:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amit Kher

Have been searching for a Khosrow II in a decent condition & affordable price for some time & didn't want this one to slip by if this qualifies.

Though I feel it's Arab Sassanian owing to 1 & 1/2 Rings on the obverse rather than the usual 2 on Khosrow II coins so requesting for confirmation

Manzikert

Not Khosrow II I'm afraid, but still an interesting type: Umayyad governors in Tabaristan, hemidrachm, anonymous 'afzut' issue, 132 PYE, 167 H, 784 AD. Weight should be about 1.7 gm, diameter c.23 mm.

Alan

Amit Kher

Figleaf

That made me read up on Tabaristan. Amazingly, it was to the Sassanids what Belarus is to Russia today. :o

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Amit Kher

another interesting Arab Sassanian coin, this one in my collection now
Arab Sassanian
info as on web-
A silver hemidrachm of Sulaiman ben Mansur of Tabaristan with a lozenge in place of the head, 136-138 CE.
This interesting hemidrachm was minted by the only ruler of Tabaristan to heed the Islamic prohibition against depicting the human form, as far as the coinage was concerned. Not only are the two attendants on the reverse still the same stylised columns, but the face on the obverse has been replaced with a neutral lozenge bearing the Arabic word "bakh," meaning "excellent." The shoulders, robes and crown are still in place, which gives a very odd effect.

Figleaf

A prize catch, Amit! You have to wonder what was going on. A bout of introspection? Pressure from the clergy? A hapless compromise to keep the merchants happy? This piece gives real insight in turbulent times. The adage that "nothing is ever simple" illustrated with a single coin.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Amit Kher

Quote from: Figleaf on December 25, 2022, 08:18:14 AMA prize catch, Amit! You have to wonder what was going on. A bout of introspection? Pressure from the clergy? A hapless compromise to keep the merchants happy? This piece gives real insight in turbulent times. The adage that "nothing is ever simple" illustrated with a single coin.

Peter

remarkable insight Peter :)