News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Countries where the reverse designs also change when the monarch does

Started by <k>, November 29, 2022, 01:14:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

When George VI of the UK acceded to the throne, the reverse designs of the coinage changed, with the exception of the penny, which retained Britannia on the reverse.

When Elizabeth II of the UK acceded to the throne, the reverse designs of the bronze farthing, half penny and penny were retained, but those of the 3 pence, 6 pence, shilling, 2 shillings and half crown were all changed.

However, the Commonwealth realms of Australia, New Zealand, Canada and South Africa did not change their reverse designs when Elizabeth II acceded to the throne, nor did the Crown Dependencies of Jersey and Guernsey.

Because of these precedents, I expect that the UK coinage of King Charles III will have new reverse designs. However, I do not believe that Jersey, Guernsey, the Isle of Man, Gibraltar, the Falkland Islands, and St. Helena-Ascension will change their reverse designs because of the change of monarch.

Looking at the major monarchies of Europe, I see that Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Belgium and Luxembourg also changed reverse designs for a new monarch in the 20th century, before the arrival of the euro. However, the Netherlands did not, so apparently it is not a tradition there.

In recent years, Tonga and Thailand changed their reverse designs with the change of monarch.

Interestingly, Qatar changed the style of text on its reverse designs with the change of Emir, although those designs are not in any case pictorial.

Do you know of any other monarchies that traditionally change their reverse designs when a new monarch accedes to the throne?

See:  List of current monarchies.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Pabitra

<k>

Though that was the first time that the designs has been changed for a new monarch in Saudi, I understand.

chrisild

Quote from: <k> on November 29, 2022, 01:14:00 AMHowever, the Netherlands did not, so apparently it is not a tradition there.

The Netherlands did when Beatrix became queen. Whether that was more or less a coincidence, timing wise, or not, I don't know. Also, Monaco did when Rainier became prince.

<k>

Quote from: chrisild on November 29, 2022, 02:09:50 PMThe Netherlands did when Beatrix became queen.

Yes, you're right. There was no change when Juliana succeeded Wilhelmina, however.