News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

The Sherman's Knife

Started by brandm24, November 05, 2022, 08:12:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brandm24

I researched this one pretty thoroughly but found nothing on it. I'm not sure if Sherman's knife is a brand name of an actual knife or it's the name of a business or manufacturer. Maybe a pub, restaurant, or something else. Has anyone information to share? Thanks.

Brucersz_the_shermans_knife_1.jpgrsz_the_shermans_knife_2.jpg 
Always Faithful

Manzikert

If you look closely at the upper illustration it actually says 'The FIshermans knife, which is even more logical with the background, so it is a trade mark for a tool not a personal name. Unfortunately the first two letters of 'FISHERMANS' have not struck up on the lower image.

It may be worth while getting in touch with the Cutlers Company in Sheffield, who have records of cutlery trade marks going back to the 1600s. https://cutlers-hallamshire.org.uk/

Alan

brandm24

Well that changes everything. Since the first image was so indistinct I concentrated on the second not noticing the gap between The and Fishermans. Definitely a trademark then. Many thanks, Alan. Now I can look into a bit more.

Bruce
Always Faithful

brandm24

An easy find thanks to Alan. This was a trademark of Sheffield cutler George Woodhead who manufactured various types of knives on Howard St. starting in 1849. It became George Woodhead & Son in 1876.

While the attached image is slightly different than the one on the coin, it's obviously a Woodhead trademark. The knife pictured is estimated to be pre-1880 which jives with the 1877 dated host coin.

Bruce
George Woodhead blade image 1.jpgGeorge Woodhead blade image 2.jpg 
Always Faithful

Figleaf

Pretty brilliant, but now, the question becomes "how does one acquire the name Woodhead"? :D

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

brandm24

I actually had similar thoughts but most were unkind so I'll keep them to myself. ;D

Bruce
Always Faithful