Denmark 2022: Queen Margrethe's 50th Jubilee

Started by chrisild, October 26, 2022, 08:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisild

To commemorate Queen Margrethe II's Golden Jubilee, Denmark issued a collector coin, but also a circulation version. There is a 500 kroner silver piece, a 20 kroner aluminum-bronze proof piece and a "regular" 20 kr coin issued at face. The three basically have the same design. The obverse shows a portrait of the queen in a "silhouette" style; that side was designed by Kathrine Moseholm.

On the other side you see characters and digits only. :) In the center there is Margrethe's monogram, which is used on many Danish coins. The dominating element is the number "50", doubled and then repeated four times. The four figures are arranged representing or reminding of Amalienborg Palace in Copenhagen. This palace consists of four buildings, see here (or the Wikipedia article link). This side was designed by Jeanette Skov Jensen. Don't know about the mintage figures.

chrisild

Rolls with that commemorative coin can be had at face (available since mid-January). Each roll has 20 pieces and costs 400 kroner. The rolls are not "mixed", i.e. you can buy rolls that contain the regular 20 kr coin only, and/or rolls with this special coin only. Problem is that shipping is quite expensive; to Germany for example it is between ~27 and ~50 euro depending on the order volume.

Attached are images of the 20 DKK jubilee coin: the roll, the obverse and the reverse. Source: Danish Mint/Central Bank.

Offa

All coins are equal but some are more equal than others

chrisild

So you have or had it in your hand? ;)  Will hopefully get mine in a few weeks. I like the portrait, and the way her name and title are designed and placed. Maybe not great for "everyday" coins, but on a special occasion ...