Civic copper of Khuy, Nasir al-din, lion & sun / pre-reform type

Started by saro, October 24, 2022, 11:48:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saro

not my coin / 24mm, 8g
A new addition to the already known mints for this type of the pre-reforme coinage of Nasir al-din Shah; scarce one it seems.. uncertain date : 12x6  ?
Numista : /
Zeno :
KM : /

Civic Khuy lion sword.jpg
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

THCoins

So that would be the modern city of Khoy near the border with Armenia and Azerbaijan ?

saro

Quote from: THCoins on October 24, 2022, 04:10:57 PMSo that would be the modern city of Khoy near the border with Armenia and Azerbaijan ?
Khoy and Khuy are the same city, it's only a question of western transcription.
From 1747 to 1813 (1160-1228 AH) the city was the capital of the Khanate of Khoy and became a semi-autonomous province of the central power which it then reintegrated.
The Russians attempted to capture the province during the Russo-Persian War (1826-28 / 1241-43 AH) with a lot of destruction...

THCoins

I found it quite remarkable that the coinage of a city on the borders of different influence spheres looked so    "Persian". As if it wanted to emphasize its then current political allegiance.

saro

Quote from: THCoins on October 24, 2022, 08:43:48 PMI found it quite remarkable that the coinage of a city on the borders of different influence spheres looked so    "Persian". As if it wanted to emphasize its then current political allegiance.
In the same way, see this post

THCoins

Yes, that really illustrates the influence from the other side of the border for this mintcity !