News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Maratha Confederacy Bindraban / Vrindavan, Copper Paisa Shah Alam II

Started by wrongmove, October 11, 2022, 05:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrongmove

Hi
Fish mint mark and similar coins but still not convinced if my id is correct. Any comments please

Figleaf

An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

asm

Quote from: wrongmove on October 11, 2022, 05:45:15 PMHi
Fish mint mark and similar coins but still not convinced if my id is correct.

A PM to abhinumis would help.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

wrongmove

Thanks for your comments. I find no similar as shape of fish and RY 36 does match.

Figleaf

The areas within the red line contain the same design elements.

Those design elements (fish, script) are executed differently. This is normal for coins of this time and place. Coins were not machine-struck with hardened dies, made with machines also. Many dies were needed, even for a modest amount of coins. Each die was cut by hand, often by different engravers. In addition, there was no disciplined measuring, so empty spots came up differently and texts may be calligraphed differently. A good example is the 4-pointed star at 6 o'clock on the coin from Zeno, at 8 o'clock on yours, but still near the date. No two dies are as alike as they will be today. Finding die-identical coins is something special, the exception, not the rule.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

abhinumis

Dr.Abhishek