News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Lincoln - Kennedy penny, Uncirculated, 1973.

Started by Luis Cozeto, September 15, 2022, 04:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

This is a private counterpunch, made to exploit public sympathy for president Kennedy after his murder in 1963. The mention of the US mint (there were three at the time) is part of the commercial deception. At the time, there were no regulations banning bleached paper. The effect of the bleach is visible on the coin.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

brandm24

There are a lot of these around, Luis. I've never identified the issuer but it's a possibility that he called his operation the US Mint...Uncle Sylvester's Mint, maybe? ;D

They're certainly not rare as the card claims. I've personally see hundreds of them.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Luis Cozeto

Quote from: brandm24 on September 21, 2022, 05:04:44 PMThere are a lot of these around, Luis. I've never identified the issuer but it's a possibility that he called his operation the US Mint...Uncle Sylvester's Mint, maybe? ;D

They're certainly not rare as the card claims. I've personally see hundreds of them.

Bruce

I opened this topic with this unofficial coin, medal, because although there are many replicas sold, some even very recent, this one seems to have been manufactured in 1975-1978 and I only have it because works like this are allowed in the USA, in Portugal no one can produce commemorative coins with indication of the Mint of Lisbon, but even so I found interesting that in the USA they made a coin with the busts of Lincoln and Kennedy.

brandm24

Since these coins are just novelties, there's no commemorative aspect to them. It's not illegal to counterstamp official US coins but with a few exceptions...mainly if there's an attempt to "revalue" it. 

They're definitely interesting, Luis, as are many other novelty stamped coins. There's literally hundreds of designs used...Lincoln smoking a pipe, the Easter bunny, baseball scenes, flowers, and many many more. There's also a series of all US states that show the outline of each and the name within the outline. Fun stuff for sure. I have a few novelties in my collection but I never had a real interest in collecting them.

Bruce
Always Faithful