Author Topic: Quiz Question 8  (Read 770 times)

RHM22

Re: Quiz Question 8
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 02:15:23 AM »
I checked, and Jaipur is indeed correct. Naturally, I didn't notice a difference between Jodhpur and Jaipur. :P So, there are 7 coin-issuing authorities. So, I guess the first person to post the answer in it's entirety is the winner.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2010, 02:22:48 AM »
Uncertain because I'm only quoting results of a topic search here, but found this saying Jaipur.

Bill.

Bill, the coin refered is a 'Nazrana' coin or a coin minted only as presentation coin. These were not meant as circulating coins but were used as gifts by members of the royal family. During Mughal times these were scattering coins - scattered by the emperror on Joyous occasions.

Would this then qualify?
Amit

PS: message edited after posting.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 02:28:12 AM by asm »
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

RHM22

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2010, 02:30:45 AM »
asm - did they circulate? Otherwise, I don't think it should be counted.

Offline UK Decimal +

• Honorary Member
  • Nil carborundum
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2010, 02:33:15 AM »
Honestly, I've no idea, as I know very little about 'foreign' coins.

Time to let the experts decide?

Bill.
Ilford, Essex, near London, England.

People look for problems and complain.   Engineers find solutions but people still complain.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2010, 02:40:10 AM »
These coins never circulated. They were presentation sets minted in very small quantities and used only for presentation to dignitories on special occasions. More like the proof Sets (or NCLT) today but issued from specially made dies and with broader flans and carefully struck.
Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

RHM22

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2010, 02:45:38 AM »
In that case, AJG is the winner! Thanks for clearing everything up.

Offline UK Decimal +

• Honorary Member
  • Nil carborundum
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2010, 02:53:24 AM »
Maybe we should consider whether Jaipur conforms with the question as asked.

I've just read the book written by the late H.R.H.The Duke of Windsor K.G. (formerly King Edward VIII) and although this subject is not mentioned there, the question and possible answers remind me of certain matters and events described in his book.   If that is so, there will be no satisfactory conclusion to this question.   History repeating itself maybe?

Bill.

People look for problems and complain.   Engineers find solutions but people still complain.

RHM22

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2010, 03:00:15 AM »
Well, I know that I cannot make a decision that will be satisfactory to everyone, so I will create a poll. After two days, if more people say that the answer AJG supplied is unsatisfactory, then I'll create a different question with a more straightforward answer.

Offline UK Decimal +

• Honorary Member
  • Nil carborundum
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2010, 03:12:10 AM »
Please don't think that I'm 'having a go', it's just that I've just read the book, an extract from which I will be posting which relates to his 'portrait' which was prepared for new coins.   The whole subject of his abdication shows up a lot of 'diplomatic' decisions that were made at the time.

And I'd never heard of Jaipur before I searched the topics here and I only did that because I wanted to know whether my new topic had been covered already.

Does Jaipur come within the perameters of the original question or not?

Bill.  ::)

RHM22

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2010, 03:17:44 AM »
To be honest, I don't know. I know for a fact that the other six were circulating coins, so definitely fall under the original question, but I don't know enough about Jaipur coinage to say whether or not the coin could actually be spent or if it was just a medal. I also cannot read the script, so that doesn't help me at all either. For those reasons, I've made it a poll so that everyone here can decide collectively, which I think is the best way to choose.

I don't think you're being difficult at all, and what you're asking is entirely legitimate, and I really don't know how to call it myself. The other members know a lot more than me about this subject (and most others as well :)), so I'll let everyone decide.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2010, 10:28:41 AM »
Hey, where have some of you guys been in the past few days? Certainly not "in" this topic, it seems. ;) Those seven are what I had on my list too ...

British West Africa - 1/10 penny, 1/2 penny, 1 penny
East Africa - 5 cents, 10 cents (holed)
Fiji - 1 penny (holed)
Jaipur (Indian Princely State) - nazarana paisa
Jodhpur (Indian Princely State) - 1/4 anna (2 types)
Kutch/Kachchh (Indian Princely State) - 3 dokda, 1 kori, 2 1/2 kori, 5 kori
New Guinea - 1 penny (holed)

Now which of these were "regular" circulation coins, I don't know either. Congratulations to the winner! Hmm, to the winner "qua poll"? :D

Christian

Offline UK Decimal +

• Honorary Member
  • Nil carborundum
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2010, 12:11:18 PM »
My main interest in this has been waiting for the answers before posting a new topic which is indirectly related to the question posed here.   I knew a couple of the answers but only found the seventh whilst checking that my subject had not been covered previously.

Have a look at the new topic and see an official story about the proposed portraits for Edward VIII coins.

Bill.

RHM22

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2010, 03:16:07 PM »
Ok, the results are in, and AJG is indeed the winner! You may know take command.

Offline UK Decimal +

• Honorary Member
  • Nil carborundum
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2010, 05:13:17 PM »
Sorry to interrupt again, but there is still some unfinished business to be attended to.

Apparently Oesho is wrong.   Three people who voted that the Jaipur answer was not acceptable need to explain this against the reference that I have given so that the mistake does not occur again.

Bill.

RHM22

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2010, 05:28:08 PM »
Well, AJG is the winner. He supplied the six that I had in mind, so that's a win anyway. I do think the matter calls for more discussion, so maybe one of the moderators can move some of this thread to the Princely States section.