Author Topic: Mughal, Emperor Aurangzeb, AH 1110 / Year 43, Silver Rupee, Surat mint  (Read 150 times)

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
Mughal, Emperor Aurangzeb, AH 1110 / Year 43, Silver Rupee, Surat mint (AH 1068-1118 /1658-1707 AD)
Weight 11.47 gm
Diameter 23 mm
Metal Silver
Obverse: Legend (from bottom to top):
 “سکه زد در جهان چو بدر منیر شاه اورنگ زیب عالم گیر “, Sikka zad dar Jahan chu badr Munir Shah Aurangzeb Alamgir. Meaning, (Struck money through the world like the shining moon, Shah Aurangzeb Alamgir)
Reverse: Legend (from top to bottom):
 “ مانوس ميمنت سنه ۴۳ جلوس ضرب سورت “, Manus Maimanet, Sanah 43 Julus, zarb Surat, meaning, “Struck Surat in the 43th year of his prosperous reign”.
Aurangzeb was the sixth Mughal emperor, who reigned for a period of 49 years from 1658 until his death in 1707 AD. He is widely considered to be the last effective Mughal emperor.

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Mughal, Emperor Aurangzeb, AH 1110 / Year 43, Silver Rupee, Surat mint
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 10:29:58 PM »
I think this is a candidate for cleaning up. That would bring out more of the text and remove the contrast between the "white" and "black" parts. I would first soak the coin is soapy water, to remove remnants of mud (will solve in water) and fatty substances (will solve in soap). I would dry the coin well, before giving it a bath in water with a few drops of lemon juice. This should remove the remaining black stuff. If it doesn't, just add a bit more lemon juice. A few minutes should do the trick. Neutralise with clean water to make sure all the lemon juice is removed and dry well. Sunlight and central heating are good drying methods.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
Re: Mughal, Emperor Aurangzeb, AH 1110 / Year 43, Silver Rupee, Surat mint
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 09:17:09 AM »
Thank you Peter.

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".