News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

South Africa to introduce a new series of circulating coins

Started by eurocoin, September 01, 2022, 06:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eurocoin

SA to get new coins in 2023. Will have the word 'South Africa' on them in all official languages

South Africans can expect to see big changes to the country's coins next year. In a statement released on Wednesday, the cabinet announced it had approved changes to the coins, which will see the official languages rotated annually over the next 10 years. Though the statement did not go into details, it said the language changes were part of the soon-to-be-introduced Fourth Decimal Coin Series. 

The changes are significant, as it will only be the fourth time since the SA Mint started pressing its own coins in 1961 that it introduces a new series of coins. The country is currently using the Third Decimal Coin Series, which was introduced in 1989.

The new coins will see the words "South Africa" imprinted on one side, in all the official languages. "Three languages will be used in the R5 coin; two languages on the R2, 50c, 20c, and 10 coins, and the R1 will be in one language," the statement said.

Though the cabinet approved the "dimension, design, and compilation" of the coins, images of the new coins were not released.

The last most significant change occurred in 1989 and included the removal of Jan van Riebeek, a Dutch colonial administrator, from one side of the ½c, 1c, 2c, 5c, 10c, 20c, 50c and R1 coins. His image was replaced with the South Africa's coat of arms. Since then, the ½c, 1c, 2c, 5c, have been removed from circulation and the R2 and R5 coins were added.

Source: Business Insider South Africa

<k>

Wow! Exciting news. The current set is beautiful, so I am surprised that they are even thinking of changing it, but it is old already. How time flies.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Pabitra

Pabitra

Notified

<k>

Wow, thank you! These look marvellous.

How many of the coins already had a polygonal inner rim?

I can't remember.

And what species are the bird and antelope / deer?

I imagine the other mammal is a beluga whale.

<k>

Here are the existing reverse designs.

Are the 1, 2 and 5 cents due to be demonetised, I wonder?

chrisild

Thanks for the images; I like the designs. And it is also nice that the polygons now correspond to the denominations:

10 c - 8
20 c - 7
50 c - 6
1 rand - 5
2 rand - 4
5 rand - errm, different.

The initial post says that "the ½c, 1c, 2c, 5c, have been removed from circulation". Whether that means demonetized or not, I do not know.

Pabitra

Quote from: <k> on November 25, 2022, 04:27:07 PMAnd what species are the bird and antelope / deer?

I imagine the other mammal is a beluga whale.

Hope you got your answers.
The bird is Loerie (turaco).
The deer is springbuck.
The whale is Southern Right whale.

The polygons already answered by yourself and chrisild.

<k>

Thank you.

A springbok has always appeared on their coins since 1961, so that makes sense.

Never heard of the Southern Right Whale. Is there a Northern Left species?

The Botswanan 1 thebe coin of 1976 featured a turaco bird.

The coin is long defunct now.

Pabitra

Two coins have changed from plated copper to plated steel.
However, I could not understand the reason for 1 Rand having different obverse from rest of the series.

<k>

Quote from: Pabitra on November 26, 2022, 05:51:56 PMTwo coins have changed from plated copper to plated steel.

Steel-plated what?

QuoteHowever, I could not understand the reason for 1 Rand having different obverse from rest of the series.

It shows the flag.

There is no law that states that an obverse design may not be different from the rest.

chrisild

Quote from: <k> on November 26, 2022, 05:58:03 PMIt shows the flag.

Sure, but I actually asked myself the same question: All obverse designs are the same, except for this one. Why did they not make the "top" or the "bottom" denomination the one that is different? Not a big deal, just wondering ...

<k>

Quote from: chrisild on November 26, 2022, 07:29:53 PMSure, but I actually asked myself the same question: All obverse designs are the same, except for this one. Why did they not make the "top" or the "bottom" denomination the one that is different?

We saw that with the old Turkish set above. I commented:

"Surely it would have been better to place the bridge design on the 1 lira coin."

You responded:

"Yeah, I found that strange too. Oh well, the Turkish government's decision."

So there is more than one way to crack an egg.

I just wonder, but you always wonder with three dots on the end.  ;)