Malwa Muhammad Shah II (1511-16 AD), 1/2 Tanka, G&G # M180, Rare 

Started by sarwar khan, August 27, 2022, 09:58:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sarwar khan

On Nasir Shah Khilji death his third son Muhammad II ascended the throne of Malwa. his accession was challenged first by his eldest brother Shahabuddin and on his death, by Shahzada Sahib Khan who assumed the title of Sultan Muhammad giving rise to fital Civil war in the Sultanate. consequently, in 917 AH rebellious Prince Muhammad succeeded in capturing the fort of Mandu, by setting aside temporarily Sultan Mahmud shah Khilji II. Thus in 917 Malwa had two rulers both claiming authority over the Sultanate, issuing at the same time there on Independent currencies.

Mahmud Khilji II in his turn Sought the help of medni Rai the powerful purbia chief and recovered within a few month the lost throne of Malwa. Muhammad Shah II the Rebel Prince, now fled towards Gujarat to seek help from Sultan Muzaffar Shah against Sultan Mahmud Khilji II of Malwa but in vain. Therefore, Muhammad Shah II  sought the help of Sikandar Lodi the ruler of Delhi and with his support Re-occupied Chanderi by 920. but within a few weeks he was defeated and driven out of Chanderi by Sultan Mahmud II khalji's forces. But in view of imminent danger of an attack of Malwa from Sultan Muzaffar Shah II of Gujarat and also from the Lodhi rulers of Delhi.

Mahmud Khilji II adopted a farsighted policy of patching up difference with Prince Muhammad. but the deceptive attitude of Bihijat khan seems to have made it futile. Thereafter what happened to Muhammad II is not described by contemporary sources. But we do get copper & Silver coins of Muhammad II bearing dates 921 & 922 AH with a mint mark which has been generally ascribed to the coins issue from Chanderi. From his numismatic evidence we many surmise that Muhammad Shah II continued his hold over Chanderi region upto 921-22 AH.

Details about the Coin :-
Sultan :- Muhammad Shah II (AH 917-922/1511-1516 AD),
Denomination :- 1/2 Tanka
Issue year :- AH 917/ 1511

Obv : bin nasir shah al-khilji al-sultan khuld mulkahu,
Rev : al-wathiq bi'l malik al-samad abu'l muzaffar muhammad shah with Swastika symbol.

Weight :-  5.2 grams
 (G&G # M180), Rare

Reference :- "Sultan Ahmed Shah Khalji of chanderi - A New Ruler of Khalii dynasty of Malwa" by S. K. Bhatt in 1975

Sent from my M2007J17I using Tapatalk

Figleaf

These wars of succession must have exhausted the country and caused a lot of misery.

While I cannot read much Arabic (so I appreciate your overlays even more), at least I know the numbers and it seems that the date on the coin is 917. How do you get 919?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

sarwar khan

Quote from: Figleaf on August 28, 2022, 09:17:38 PMThese wars of succession must have exhausted the country and caused a lot of misery.

While I cannot read much Arabic (so I appreciate your overlays even more), at least I know the numbers and it seems that the date on the coin is 917. How do you get 919?

Peter
Figleaf Sir it's Typing mistake
Sent from my M2007J17I using Tapatalk