Liberty 196?

Started by Desibot, August 23, 2022, 07:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desibot

Hi guys

What year could this liberty be ?

brandm24

It appears to be a D mint mark (Denver) so it couldn't be  a 1965, 1966, or 1967. No cents were minted in Denver those years. Any other date in the 1960s is possible. S mint (San Francisco) coins were only struck in 1968 and 1969. All the rest were minted in Philadelphia and have no mint mark.

In 1960 there were several Denver varieties...Large date, small date, and D over D with a small date over a large date. It's hard to tell what the last number in the date is but might possibly be a 0.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Figleaf

There is a remnant of the last digit visible on the detail picture. It doesn't match the previous 6 and can't be part of a 5, 7 or 0 (or 1, 2, 3 or 4, for that matter), so it must be 8 or 9. Since the remnant rises above the line connecting the upper ends of the 1 and the 9, the last digit is an 8.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

brandm24

Can you see if it's definitely a D mintmark, Peter. I really couldn't tell. The old eyes aren't what they used to be. If the last letter is indeed an 8 then it could be an S mintmark.

I would really like to see this coin in-hand. I have some serious magnification equipment that might confirm date and mintmark with some certainty.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Figleaf

On the detail picture I can see about ⅔ of the S. On the picture of the whole coin, the view is spoilt by the vertical scratch running through it, so my tired eyes are convinced it is an R, like on modern Italian coins. :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

brandm24

Here's two images of the 1968 cent one being a close up.

Bruce1968 Lincoln 1.jpg1968 Lincoln 2.jpg 
Always Faithful

Figleaf

Fits perfectly with what I can see. The top of the 8 is slightly above the top of the 9 (as you would expect).

Peter

FosseWay

I would plump for 1969 S, I think. There are no traces of the lower loop of the 8 below the part that's visible, and the pattern of wear/weak strike would seem to suggest there should be something left there if there was anything there in the first place. With a 9, though, there'd be nothing there and the rest of the digit is comfortably in the erased area.

brandm24

I can see both scenarios for either an 8 or 9. I personally have no "favorite" as I just can't see it well enough.

What's also interesting about this coin is the smooth areas around the rim...I(N) God We Trust, LIB(ERTY) and the last digit of the date. Not sure how that happened. The cents struck in the 60s were notorious for poor strikes...mushy and indistinct. It even shows on the uncirculated specimen I posted. This could be the reason for the missing devices though I can't say I've ever seen an example like this.

Bruce
Always Faithful

brandm24

Quote from: FosseWay on August 25, 2022, 07:46:10 AMI would plump for 1969 S, I think. There are no traces of the lower loop of the 8 below the part that's visible, and the pattern of wear/weak strike would seem to suggest there should be something left there if there was anything there in the first place. With a 9, though, there'd be nothing there and the rest of the digit is comfortably in the erased area.
Here's images of a 1969-S, FosseWay.

Bruce
1969-S 3.jpg1969-S 2.jpeg 
Always Faithful

Desibot

Quote from: brandm24 on August 24, 2022, 05:04:10 PMCan you see if it's definitely a D mintmark, Peter. I really couldn't tell. The old eyes aren't what they used to be. If the last letter is indeed an 8 then it could be an S mintmark.

I would really like to see this coin in-hand. I have some serious magnification equipment that might confirm date and mintmark with some certainty.

Bruce

Hi Bruce I can send this out to you if you can send me an address

brandm24

Thanks, Desibot. I'll PM you my address.

Bruce
Always Faithful

brandm24

Received the coin yesterday, Desibot. It will be a day or two before I can look at it. Thanks.

Bruce
Always Faithful

brandm24

This is the best photo I came up with. I looked at the coin under different types and intensities of lighting, at various angels and magnification. I did get a little more detail using other methods but I couldn't photograph it.

Having studied the coin closely, I'm 90% convinced its a 1969-S. The S mintmark is very clear to me but I still have slight doubt about whether its a 1968 or 1969.

Desibot, please PM your address to me so I can return it. ThanksLincoln 2.JPG

Bruce

Always Faithful

Desibot

Hi thankyou Bruce for the update

You can have the coin :perfect:

Desibot