William McKinley funeral coin

Started by brandm24, August 11, 2022, 02:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brandm24

William McKinley was the 25th US President who served from 1897 until his assassination on September, 6th 1901 while attending the Pan-American Exposition in Buffalo, NY.

This is an inscription on a quarter...probably dated 1901...that was placed on the tracks and flattened by his funerary train as it passed over it. This was a thing in the day it seemed. It was later inscribed as a remembrance to his passing. The obverse is engraved "McKinley funeral train / September 18th 1901 / Born January 29th 1843 / Died September 14th 1901 / Assassinated September 6th 1901 / Buried September 19th, 1901 at Canton O (Ohio)"  The reverse is inscribed " M.E. Dover / Sebring O" Apparently, Dover was the man who engraved the coin.

An interesting piece of history left as a heartfelt memory of the man.

Bruce
rsz_mckinley_1.jpgrsz_mckinley_2.jpgrsz_mckinley_1r.jpgrsz_mckinley_3r.jpg   
Always Faithful

Figleaf

I am wondering if the "run over by the train" story is correct. I would have expected both sides to be flattened in the same area with equal pressure everywhere the wheel hit.

The "peninsula" with the name of the author might fit the bill, but if only such a small area had been on the rails, the weight of the rest of the coin would have tipped it off. The flattened areas on both sides do not match otherwise.

I would say the poor coin was hammered flat on a softish surface, like wood, covered by textile, where the perpetrator wanted to engrave.

BTW, Sebring houses a toy train enthusiasts group. Perhaps some wishful thinking when they saw this piece?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

brandm24

Yeah, I don't know much about these train track coins. I thought it was a little unusual too but the coin is nicely engraved and is a great historical piece.

Auctioneers and collectors have always been known to make up exotic stories about their treasures to add value to them. There's a set of counterstamped US Large Cents known as the Adam Group that are purported to have been used as ID badges by a ring of so-called copperheads during the Civil War. I have eleven of the sixteen coins in my collection and they obviously weren't used for that purpose.

I and Greg Brunk both have always dismissed them as such. The truth of it is they were used in children's games as a way of teaching the use of words and combinations that make up phrases. This from a man who actually remembers the sets...apparently, there were two...and used them as a child. I spoke to him numerous times and he wrote me a detailed letter explaining the games and how the kids used to play with them. The truth of it is actually more interesting than the copperhead fantasy. Oh, and by the way, any coin counterstamped GW is something George Washington stamped personally. ;D

Bruce
Always Faithful