News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Gibraltar - continues with old 1 pound specifications

Started by Pabitra, August 11, 2022, 05:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pabitra

Gibraltar is one of the few nations which follows UK for physical specifications of circulation coins.
UK shifted to bimetallic 1 Pound coin but Gibraltar is unable to get bimetallic 1 pound coin.
It appears to have issued this coin recently but it is not as per legal tender specifications.
Should it be termed as fantasy coin/ token or a collector coin?

eurocoin

avle64e

As far as I understand. Only the UK switched from "round" pounds to bimetallic ones. Such "territories" as Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey, the Isle of Man still have the right to be minted for the circulation of "round" pounds minted on behalf of these territories. And their "round" pounds were not exchanged for bimetallic pounds of Great Britain and still have circulation on their territories.

eurocoin

You forget the Falkland Islands, which have also introduced the bimetallic 1 pound coin.

avle64e

You're right. The Falkland Islands have introduced the bimetallic pound. But I have not seen information about the withdrawal of the "round" pound from circulation. If we consider Gibraltar, then after the statement about the desire to issue a bimetallic pound, two coins of 1 pound have already been issued. Tower Mint continues to issue "round" 1 pound coins. The first of them (95 years of the queen) could be received for change in the store. So, in my opinion, it cannot be attributed to coins for collectors. I have no such information about the second coin. But it is possible that it will also be released for circulation, and not for collectors. Just have to wait. I understand that the tender for the issue of coins for regular circulation was won by the Pobjoy Mint, but in my opinion, if the coin is actually in circulation, then I do not refer it to coins for collectors. But this is my opinion.))))

Alan71

Quote from: avle64e on August 12, 2022, 08:57:31 PMAs far as I understand. Only the UK switched from "round" pounds to bimetallic ones. Such "territories" as Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey, the Isle of Man still have the right to be minted for the circulation of "round" pounds minted on behalf of these territories. And their "round" pounds were not exchanged for bimetallic pounds of Great Britain and still have circulation on their territories.
Not entirely true.  Both Jersey and Guernsey withdrew the round £1 (both their own versions and the vast quantities of the UK issues circulating in the islands) but did not issue their own bimetallic editions.  Both bailiwicks never abandoned their £1 notes and so they still circulate alongside the current UK £1 coin.

Both the Falklands and St Helena-Ascension have always been way behind the UK in coin issues.  They didn't issue the smaller 5p until 1998, eight years after the UK had done so.  It was therefore something of a surprise that the Falklands were the first of the six to issue the 12-sided £1.

Isle of Man is an odd one though.  Its proximity to the UK means that, if it hadn't done a Jersey or Guernsey, it could have issued its own version to circulate alongside the UK issues.  Gibraltar too, to a lesser extent.  Presumably the move to being cash-free (or at least much less cash reliant) means it's far less important than it once was.

eurocoin

With all due respect, this topic is useless and a waste of time. Of course nothing has changed until something changes. The situation in Gibraltar has been previously discussed on the forum. Bossano has been lying for years about the progress and certainty of the introduction of Gibraltarian version of the bimetallic 1 pound coin.

The piece that is being shown in this topic is a non-circulating commemorative coin that was minted with the same technical specifications as the round 1 pound coin of Gibraltar. It is legal tender.

Offa

The coin in the photo is only produced on a card in bunc and is not for circulation that said it is wuite a nice coin and I have it in my collection
All coins are equal but some are more equal than others