Author Topic: Irish 1d 1928  (Read 2413 times)

Offline UK Decimal +

• Honorary Member
  • Nil carborundum
Irish 1d 1928
« on: January 06, 2010, 06:14:21 PM »
Included in the bag of mixed coins that I received was this rather nice Irish Penny.

Anything special that I should know about it?

Bill.
Ilford, Essex, near London, England.

People look for problems and complain.   Engineers find solutions but people still complain.

translateltd

Re: Irish 1d 1928
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 08:29:48 PM »
Probably depends on what you mean by "special", as all coins have something interesting about them if you look hard enough :-)

This one is the first year of issue of a quite delightful set of coins nicknamed the "barnyard series".  There are some interesting patterns by different designers prior to the final designs being settled on.  The denominations are all given in Irish, and turn interesting when you get to the 3d and 6d ("half ryal" and "ryal" respectively); and last but not least, the obverse legend SAORSTAT EIREANN (Irish Free State) helped me to work out that the first name of the young actress Saoirse Ronan probably meant "Liberty" ...

Offline gs17590

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 10:34:26 PM »
We used to get these passed in change pre-D-day. Have a look at this site..
http://www.irishcoinage.com/MODCOIN.HTM

Iain

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 12:41:00 AM »
On the obverse is "Brian Boru's harp". It's not actually the harp of Brian Boru, its official name is the Trinity College Harp, but it is still the symbol for Ireland. I can recommend hearing Brian's ghost army march by in the traditional song "the March of Brian Boru" The artist makes a few mistakes, which Brian's minstrels might have done also.

What is impolitely called the "barnyard" series (salmon on a barnyard ???) is actually a groundbreaking series of coins; the first series ever with local animals, rather than the boring portraits and heraldics in fashion since the renaissance. Our member ford.ka, found out that the Chairman of the Commission on Coinage, who championed the innovative designs was none other than William Yeats.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.