News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Coin Shops, markets, museums Netherlands

Started by quaziright, June 19, 2022, 02:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

It is possible that what you have taken for English was in fact Dutchlish. The level of adoption and use of English words has gone far beyond what is necessary, i.e to bridge the gap for neologisms. A sure sign of Dutchlish is several words written together :'(

I was known among my colleagues as a purist, because if I spoke and wrote, I avoided foreign words and when I was asked to review a text I replaced foreign words with a Dutch equivalent. While it did have a certain influence on my environment, the tide was against me. My consolation was that in my grandparents early days, it was quite similar, except that the intruding language was French. Who knows what the situation will be in a few generations?

I agree on the train system being too sensitive, not only to the weather but also to even minor malfunctions. That said, the US train network is certainly not an example. On the contrary. I have never taken a train in Canada.

In general, you can't visit the Peace Palace, but if you can show you are a law student, you can get into the library. There are occasional guided tours when the court is not in session. These are quickly fully booked in advance. Kasteel De Haar is a modern fake. It's fun, but there are better castles around. My personal favourite is Loevestein, but Muiderslot, while a bit over-restored, also has its attractions. If you liked Zaanse Schans, you will like the Open Air museum in Arnhem at least as much. You can combine that with a visit to the Airborne museum - devoted to the battle of Arnhem - in Oosterhout.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

chrisild

Quote from: Figleaf on July 23, 2022, 11:07:27 AMThat said, the US train network is certainly not an example. On the contrary. I have never taken a train in Canada.

Your Eastern neighbor is not a great example either. The railway companies here (primarily Deutsche Bahn, but the others are not better) do not have "staff reserves". So these days, when lots of people are sick, you learn things like, the following four S-Bahn lines (sort of RER) in your region will not operate until next week, and please take buses or taxis which we will pay for. Ouch. ::)

The only portion of the rail network in Canada I have experienced so far was this one. We went from Fraser, BC to Skagway, AK (US), and that worked well. ;D

quaziright

I noticed many shops/cafes with English only help-wanted notices, or the A-boards on the sidewalk with the special of the day or some quirky tagline in English. Similarly several advertisements plastered on the streetcars or at bus stops were in English. There is a big building complex coming up in Amsterdam nord near the Eye museum with a big poster hung at the top of one of the buildings going something like "here's where Amsterdam will live and play". I did not notice anything off with the grammar/spellings in any of these places, so I don't think it was a case of Duitlish as was mentioned in one of the posts above

As far as trains go, I've travelled up and down the via rail from Windsor to Montreal. It's nice, but it's slow comparatively (120kmph), the frequency is nothing like in Netherlands, and it's much more expensive than a similar trip in Europe. I paid 85$ for a Toronto-London return trip which is about 110km and takes 2hours. By contrast I paid 80€ for the London-Amsterdam Eurostar return
Apart from the Windsor-QC corridor. There isn't much intercity passenger rail connectivity in Canada to speak of. Most rail lines are dedicated to freight which is important, but you'd think a mostly flat country like Canada would be primed for high speed rail.
On the weather, I can't recall taking the train in winter, but the Ttc subway in Toronto almost always has some kind of breakdown with the first snow. You'd think we should have been prepared when it was first built in the 50s. Moreover, because of the way the main two lines are structured, even one train breaking down can block the entire network.
While in Germany, I was pleasantly surprised that I could benefit from a 9€ Unlimited day trip ticket which the govt over there introduced the month prior. That definitely saved me quite a bit. It was also the first time I used commuter trains other than an ICE. I even took a national express train which I thought only operated in the UK.

That said I haven't done any train travel in Europe during winter, so I'll take your word that it's a (excrement) show during that season