News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Fake Maple Leaf Coins (Cologne)

Started by chrisild, June 03, 2022, 10:15:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisild

Have you recently bought Canadian gold coins (Maple Leaf) from sources other than those you trust? ;) If yes, make sure they are actually gold. The police just detained three men in Cologne (NW, DE) and found 19 counterfeited Maple Leaf pieces (news in German). Judging from the three photos, those were all $50 / 1oz pieces. Some cash was also confiscated. The police and DA assume that the deals had a total volume of about €80,000 ...

Figleaf

Though the miscreants were based in Germany, they offered their home-made coins through the internet, so they will have spread to other countries.

With a take of €80 000, turnover must have been around 45 pieces, though.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Tirant

Damn, those coins look so real!

Anyway, i don't know what were thinking those who bought them. I don't collect this kind of coins, but if i did, i'd buy only certified ones on reliable places. Too much money for not going to the safest option.

brandm24

Quote from: Tirant on June 04, 2022, 08:19:11 AMDamn, those coins look so real!

Anyway, i don't know what were thinking those who bought them. I don't collect this kind of coins, but if i did, i'd buy only certified ones on reliable places. Too much money for not going to the safest option.
I don't have any Maple Leafs either, but would also be very careful if I were in the market for one, Many of the fakes being pushed today are highly deceptive. That includes any number of other issues as well.

Bruce
Always Faithful

chrisild

Agreed, I would not buy such coins from "strange" sources either. But who knows, if my friend collected Meissen porcelain cups and I suddenly come across a "bargain" cup (not really knowing much about such items), I might be a fool one time ...