Wittenborg. Danish?

Started by Figleaf, May 27, 2022, 11:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

Wittenborg is a Danish company that ended up as the underdog in a "merger" with Zanussi vending. See here.

There is a token for Wittenborg international, Since that token is in English, I am not even sure it is Dutch. In any case, it doesn't make all Wittenborg tokens Dutch. The size and shape of the token attached are not like common Dutch coffee vending machine tokens, so I would call it Danish.

Does anyone have more or better information?

Peter

Wittenborg A.jpg
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

jsalgado

Please see Numista N # 58300
jsalgado

Figleaf

Numista calls it Danish full stop. I said "I would call it Danish." That's not the same. Since Wittenborg operated outside Denmark, it could have served in another country. The problem is lack of information. If it was used in a machine (seems likely) size and the hole would be the only clues.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

jsalgado

andyg

always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Figleaf

Yes, thank you andyg. I believe that solves the problem. All the way down that page is a little table headed "OEM VARENUMMER" (Original Equipment Manufacturer part number). Click on "WITTENBORG EVOCA" and you land in a list of related parts. Most of them are generic (e.g. switching gear) and can be applied in multiple machines, but I think part LF 1081089, a shower head ø 79 mm is significant.

A shower head of 8 cm will likely not be meant for a bathroom, but could well be part of e.g. pro dishwashers or washing machines (I would exclude car washers and camping showers as too far from Wittenborg's other products). I am not aware of coin-operated dish washers but I have seen many instances of tokens destined for washing machines in apartment buildings, including in Scandinavian countries, so I am strongly inclined to call it a washing machine token. Next step would be to ascertain Wittenborg actually makes coin operated washing machines. BTW Gastroparts (gastro = stomach!) is a Polish provider of spare parts for a.o. Wittenborg machines, not Wittenborg itself.

As it would be "part of the machine", it would operate anywhere where Wittenborg washing machines are sold, so Danish is the best solution, I think.

Peter

andyg

Figleaf

So can you think of why a professional kitchen would need a token operated machine that presumably uses water?

Peter

andyg

Figleaf

Thought of it too and rejected the option quickly. A coffee machine doesn't have a shower head. I have few Danish coffee tokens, but none is holed. Germany must have been or still is a major market for Wittenborg. I can't check my German coffee tokens now, but I do have a few German made Dutch coffee machine tokens and IIRC none are holed. Perhaps more important, the size and the bevelled edge look all wrong for a coffee machine. I would have accepted game token immediately, but it doesn't fit with Wittenborg.

There's also the Zanussi angle to think of. They make washing machines also and they may have used the name Wittenborg where Zanussi was relatively unknown and Wittenborg was a good image brand name.

Peter