News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Trickster call: 87 y/o woman gave gold coins away

Started by chrisild, May 27, 2022, 07:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisild

You will be familiar (hope fully not due to personal experience) with those phone calls that supposedly come from "the police" and urge you to to pay money. There are several variations of these con calls – in this case, a 87 year old woman in Stuttgart (BW, DE) got a call from "a police officer" on Wednesday.

The man told her that her grandson was involved in an accident; a bail payment of €20,000 to €40,000 (sic) was required in order to keep him from going to prison. The woman did not have so much cash at hand, so she was "allowed" to give gold coins to the "officer" who would pick the bag up. This way she lost coins worth a six-digit euro amount ...

Police press release (German) here. Right, easy to say "don't do this". Well, once you are that old, and if the caller does a convincing job ...  :-\

Tirant

I guess most of us are familiar with those police officers, our cousin from South America and the prince from Nigeria. I prefer not to say on an open forum what i think they deserve, but i guess most of us will agree that the world would be a better place without those people.

Poor woman, i hope she'll can have her coins back.

chrisild

Hope so too, but it is unlikely. The woman was able to describe the man who picked the coins up, but it would almost be a coincidence if he got caught. And the people in the background, those who organize and coordinate such crimes, can hardly ever be taken to court. ::)  Another problem is that most insurance contracts (there are exceptions) will not cover such a damage: No violence or physical pressure usually translates to no financial compensation in such cases ...

brandm24

Very sad that someone, especially at that age, should be swindled of their possessions. I never could understand how anyone could do such a thing like that to another human being.

Bruce
Always Faithful