News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

SAECO - What nationality?

Started by Figleaf, May 26, 2022, 09:26:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

This was sold to me as a Dutch coffee token. I have doubts.

SAECO the company claims to be Italian - incidentally, I haven't seen coin/token operated machines on the site. However, they have a sales and service centre in the Netherlands, the web site cannot be seen in Italian and they also sell Philips (Senseo) stuff. Numista says they are Italian. Kooij does not list them.

Drawing a parallel with FAEMA, I could accept them as Dutch, albeit generic and used in other countries, but Numista's solution looks like a valid option also.

Peter

Saeco KB --.jpg
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

chrisild

Don't know about the token, but Saeco is a complicated case. :D  Used to be an Italian company which was later acquired by Philips. Five years ago, the "professional use division", or whatever it is called, was sold to Evoca. (The "home use" division is still part of the Philips group.) For the Evoca Saeco machines, see here.

Figleaf

Super, chrisild! That explains the discrepancies completely. The roots of Evoca are Zanussi vending (Valbrembo, Italy) and Wittenborg (Copenhagen, Denmark). They merged in 2000 and headquartered in Valbrembo.

SAECO (Gaggia Montano, Italy) was established in 1981 and acquired the Gaggia brand in 1999. Philips bought the company in 2009. SAECO Vending was acquired from Philips by Evoca in 2017. They still use the brand name SEACO. The picture (Google Earth) shows the entrance to the Valbrembo facility. The SAECO brand is mentioned top right on the red thing-dingus.

Two coin operating models in two sizes remain, a coffee machine (Oasi) and a food vending machine (Artiro). The two may be combined, with a joint payment system.

It is safe to conclude that the company is Italian, with international sales and the tokens are generic, used also, but not exclusively, in the Netherlands. The tokens come in several designs and sizes.

Peter

Evoca, Via Roma 24, Valbrembo.jpg
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.