Monkey Town - a food/drink token?

Started by Figleaf, May 26, 2022, 08:59:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

It was sold as a coffee machine token. Perhaps. Perhaps not.

More information about the issuer here. Monkey Town is for young children what a disco is for older children: a place where surplus energy can be shed. ;) There are similar shops in France that my grandchildren have made me acquainted with.

I can't think of what function a token might have there. They do have eats and drinkies for overheated children and bored parents, though. I can imagine a coffee machine and this token is about the right size, but why not use coins? There are also electronic and mechanical games that require coins, but why use tokens?

Peter

Monkeytown.jpg
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

FosseWay

Why use tokens - for the same reason that any vending machine operator may choose to use tokens: to reduce the attractiveness to criminals of breaking into the machine and stealing the takings.

Figleaf

Perhaps so, but that only shifts the problem, because the vending machines would be inside. The tokens are sold in-house, say at the same desk where they sell the tickets. The take is no longer in the machine, but behind the desk. At closure time, the receptionists would leave with the total take in cash, whereas if there weren't any tokens, the receptionist would open the machine, pour the take in with the rest of the receipts and leave with it all. The whole token rigmarole just to avoid opening the coffee machine and removing the cash at closing time?

You gave me an alternative idea. There are kiddo gaming machines inside and some halls offer paid rides. Perhaps the tokens were not used for coffee machines but to make sure any winnings could only be spent inside or to avoid having a supervising employee with the rides?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.