Author Topic: Quiz Question 7  (Read 522 times)

translateltd

Quiz Question 7
« on: January 02, 2010, 08:11:17 PM »
A bit late, but here goes:

During World War II, a certain US mint struck a stop-gap coin for two different but related countries/territories.  The denomination was the same but the two issues were otherwise entirely different. They were dated one year apart. They both had at least one unusual or curious feature.  Name the mint, the common denomination, the places they were intended for and the unusual feature or features relating to both coins.

There is also a third coin, for a third country, with exactly the same denomination, produced by the same mint and bearing the same date as one of the above, though it was actually made a year later than the date shown.  It was also a one-off type and date.  Name it.

I guess there's room for answers that differ from the ones I have in mind, but we'll learn all the more if that's the case.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
Re: Quiz Question 7
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 11:09:28 PM »
Hmm, guess I know what that third coin is. Now let's see whether I can get the whole quiz done "from there". :) Interesting question!

Christian

RHM22

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 11:26:30 PM »
Is the answer 2 francs? Minted in Philadelphia for Belgium, Belgian Congo and France. The Belgian Congo issue is hexagonal, and the Belgian was minted on planchets made for 1943 U.S. steel cents.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 11:30:54 PM »
I fear you are right. ;) The French coin was what I had in mind too, and I just (ahem) looked the others up ...

* France, 2 francs 1944 (minted in 1945, used after the war - mostly in Southern France and Algeria)
* Belgian Congo 2 francs/frank 1943 (Phil.), hexagonal, and the supposedly Dutch version says "Belgish (sic!) Congo"
* Belgium 2 francs 1944 - and a few silver pieces were erroneously made using silver blanks that should have been used for Dutch kwartjes

Christian

translateltd

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 11:33:35 PM »
Is the answer 2 francs? Minted in Philadelphia for Belgium, Belgian Congo and France. The Belgian Congo issue is hexagonal, and the Belgian was minted on planchets made for 1943 U.S. steel cents.

Well done, that man.  The Belgian coin was dated 1944, and so was the French, though apparently the latter was struck in 1945.  The other peculiarity with the Belgian Congo coin is the spelling error - "BELGISH" Congo instead of "BELGISCH", which was never corrected for this issue.

Over to you to set question no. 8!

RHM22

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 11:39:44 PM »
Success! You shall all have great times with me as Der Lappalienkanzler. Can I take a while to find a good question?

translateltd

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 11:43:07 PM »
Success! You shall all have great times with me as Der Lappalienkanzler. Can I take a while to find a good question?

Took me a couple of weeks so I don't see why not :-)

RHM22

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 11:44:48 PM »
It was a very good question, but you didn't count on an American being around to answer it! ;D The Philadelphia Mint is practically my back yard.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 12:28:12 AM »
The Philadelphia Mint is practically my back yard.

Is it still open to the public? I visited the place long ago and my friend Osama would like to know ;) He likes banging noises.

Peter
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 01:00:21 AM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

RHM22

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 12:57:41 AM »
It is indeed open to the public, and tours are free! I've never been there myself, but it's not too far away really, and I do plan on visiting one day. I don't your friend would be welcome, unfortunately.

andyg

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 01:10:11 AM »
The Denver mint I can recommend (if it's still open of course)
Didn't buy anything as it was in the days before there were 33 million different types of US commemoratives each year....