News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

id help pls - coin # 68 - 1/2 Falus Nasir al-din Mahmud Shah III - Solved

Started by Amit Kher, May 22, 2022, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saro

:applause:  I think that you find it ! and "47" were well the 2 last digits of the date.
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Amit Kher

Quote from: saro on May 28, 2022, 01:58:54 PM:applause:  I think that you find it ! and "47" were well the 2 last digits of the date.

thanks Saro :)

aws22

Dear Amit Kher, your coin in details:
Sultans of Malwa, in the name of Mahmud III of Gujarat, AH 947, AE ½ Falus, mint? (AH 944-961/1537-1553 AD)
Obverse (Left photo): reading upward:
الواثق بالله المنان ناصر الدنيا والدين ابو الفتح ۹۴۷  , al-Wathiq bi'llah al-Mannan Nasir al-Dunya wa al-Din abu al-Fath (947), meaning, He who trusts in Allah, the most generous, the protector of the world and the faith, father of victory 947.
Reverse (Right photo): reading upward:
محمود شاه بن لطيف شاه السلطان  , Mahmud Shah bin Latif Shah al-Sultan
Nasir-al-Din Mahmud Shah III (ناصر الدين محمود شاه الثالث), born Mahmud Khan was a sultan of the Muzaffarid dynasty who reigned over the Gujarat Sultanate, a late medieval kingdom in India from 1537 to 1554. He had to battle frequently with his nobles who were interested in independence, especially Darya Khán and Imád-al-Mulk. He was killed by one of his servants.

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

Amit Kher

Quote from: aws22 on May 28, 2022, 04:41:56 PMDear Amit Kher, your coin in details:
Sultans of Malwa, in the name of Mahmud III of Gujarat, AH 947, AE ½ Falus, mint? (AH 944-961/1537-1553 AD)
Obverse (Left photo): reading upward:
الواثق بالله المنان ناصر الدنيا والدين ابو الفتح ۹۴۷  , al-Wathiq bi'llah al-Mannan Nasir al-Dunya wa al-Din abu al-Fath (947), meaning, He who trusts in Allah, the most generous, the protector of the world and the faith, father of victory 947.
Reverse (Right photo): reading upward:
محمود شاه بن لطيف شاه السلطان  , Mahmud Shah bin Latif Shah al-Sultan
Nasir-al-Din Mahmud Shah III (ناصر الدين محمود شاه الثالث), born Mahmud Khan was a sultan of the Muzaffarid dynasty who reigned over the Gujarat Sultanate, a late medieval kingdom in India from 1537 to 1554. He had to battle frequently with his nobles who were interested in independence, especially Darya Khán and Imád-al-Mulk. He was killed by one of his servants.

Maythem

thanks Maythem for the detailed info

mkm1968

Figleaf

An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

aws22

Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

Amit Kher

could it be this one on Numista -
½ Falus - Nasir al-din Mahmud Shah III
N# 121543
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces121543.html

the Sultanate, Ruler, - Match
dimensions - Almost Match
inscriptions - not sure

Figleaf

Thanks for a good try, Amit. However, I don't think it's a match. Like you, I can't read the script, but the right picture on Numista shows a circle I don't see on yours.

Incidentally, for these coins, dimension is not too important because flans were of different thickness, but the same weight. Weight (taking wear into account) is more important.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Amit Kher

Quote from: Figleaf on May 31, 2022, 11:29:55 AMThanks for a good try, Amit. However, I don't think it's a match. Like you, I can't read the script, but the right picture on Numista shows a circle I don't see on yours.

Incidentally, for these coins, dimension is not too important because flans were of different thickness, but the same weight. Weight (taking wear into account) is more important.

Peter

thanks Peter, will keep the Weight factor in mind