News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

SAFAA Tokens

Started by brandm24, May 11, 2022, 10:07:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brandm24

I know that these are vending tokens but I'm not sure what they were used for or what machines accepted them. I'd also like to know the manufacturer.

Numista lists several varieties (N#81535, N#115807) and a few more but doesn't provide a lot of information about themSAFFA Token.jpg . Any help is appreciated.

Bruce
Always Faithful

FosseWay

SAFAA is Société Anonyme Française des Appareils Automatiques - more or less "French Automatic Machines, Inc."  ;D

I'm not sure what the machines in which they were used sold either.

We can therefore be sure it's French (and not from another Francophone country). I think also the cornucopia spacer is strongly suggestive that the manufacturer is the Monnaie de Paris.

brandm24

Thanks for the info. I've always had an interest in token manufacturers so that's the reason I asked.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Figleaf

S.A.F.A.A. was an important manufacturer of telephone tokens. See here. After losing their monopoly, they went on to produce other vending machines. They had or have a plant in the North of Paris, putting it kindly, not its most picturesque part. It is likely that these tokens were used for food vending machines.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

brandm24

I did go back and check the Numista references and it mentioned that they were used in food and beverage machines. Your post tells "the rest of the story."

Bruce
Always Faithful

Figleaf

For more information and variants, look here

For an iteration presumably before telephone tokens, see this thread.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

brandm24

Quote from: Figleaf on May 12, 2022, 04:34:35 PMFor more information and variants, look here

For an iteration presumably before telephone tokens, see this thread.

Peter
Thanks, Peter. I searched the site but missed that thread.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Figleaf

Don't feel guilty. I stumbled on both threads while cleaning their boards. ;)

Peter

Afrasi

As far as I know, these were telephone tokens in Algeria. But I cannot proove it. I did forget my source.