Third republic, 5 francs 1873, Paris

Started by Figleaf, April 30, 2022, 10:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

The coin is virtually as struck. If it was cleaned, it was well done. No telltale parallel lines on the fields. KM 820.1 Numista 1187

Dupré's Hercules design was first used during the Consulate (still a hole in the timeline) and last during the fifth republic, with different denominations. Mine was minted during the third republic, still the longest régime in French history. The mint is Paris (A). At this time, the number of mints had been reduced to two: Paris in the North and Bordeaux in the South.

Peter

troirep.jpeg
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Tirant

Incredible how great looks this piece, it actually seems that it was struck just yesterday. The details on the reverse are just amazing.

<k>

It was briefly a circulation coin from 1964 to 1973. However, it was denominated as 10 francs, so as not to confuse those old people who remembered spending the 5 francs coin.

Numista N# 674
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Figleaf

@ <k>: Whether they are in Paris, sitting on a park bench or in Bordeaux, looking at the river or the sea, do not underestimate a retired frenchman, especially when it's about his retirement money. Not sure they actually circulated, as they went above par in the coin shops. I guess the geezer dutifully handed over the pension to his wife and pocketed the agio for the silver coins for those days he needed a nightcap or two. ;D

@ Tirant: I bought it off a dealer I usually buy older coins from. He'd put it on his list of discounted coins at an attractive price. Couldn't be bothered with a coin that's only 150 year old, I guess. I just gave it a bath in warm, soapy water and it smiled at me.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.