News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Henri III, 1/4 d'Ècu, Rennes

Started by Tirant, April 30, 2022, 07:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tirant

Bonjour les gars ;D

A few weeks ago, Figleaf showed us this ¼ d'écu from Nantes (1580). Here i come with her cousin, born in Rennes and just three years younger:

Kingdom of France
Henri III (king of Poland from 1573 to 1574, and king of France from 1574 to 1589)
Silver (9,59gr, 28mm its longer)
Obverse: BENEDICTVM SIT NOMEN DOMINI
Reverse: HENRICVS III D G FRANCE ET POL REX 1583
Mint: Rennes
References: Numista N# 33603 // Duplessy 1133

His life was so well explained in Figleaf's post, so there's no need to explain it again.

Hope you'll like it!

Figleaf

Nice strike, Tirant. The two cousins know each other well. Rennes and Nantes are not too far apart (though it's still a bit of a walk), both in the general Brittany area where most of the Spanish financial support for the catholic league landed.

It matters not, but Brittany is also the birthplace of the condom. The original was made from sheep or pig bladder. The area was poor and farmers who had too many children (television hadn't been invented yet) had to decide either to leave them all a parcel of land too small to make a profit or to turn some of them into beggars.

The kardeku was popular in many countries, so I am not overly surprised it turned up in Spain. The seller of my specimen lives in Belgium.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Tirant

Thanks Figleaf!

Those Brittany farmers were so smart. We can be grateful that their creation has evolved that much over the years and we don't need pigs bladders anymore...