News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Counterstamped Hibernia Penny

Started by brandm24, March 29, 2022, 02:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brandm24

This seems to be a private merchant counterstamp but I can't identify the animal or the complete word or name under it. At first I thought it was a donkey but not with such a short tail. Any ideas?

The word under is apparently a name RUSSE and what appears to be a faint T after it making it RUSSET. There may also be a letter or initial before the name. Maybe an I but it's so faint that it may just be a mark or something else. The coin has a lot of damage and pitting from exposure.

Any help in deciphering the counterstamp is appreciated.

Brucersz_russe_oo.jpgrsz_russe_o.jpgrsz_russe_r.jpg   
Always Faithful

FosseWay

I think the text reads B RUSSEL. It could be B RUSSET but I don't think the top horizontal is long enough to be the top of a T; more likely, it's a somewhat oversized serif on an L.

Brussel is of course also the name of the capital of Belgium, but I suspect some guy called B Russel is more likely.

brandm24

Quote from: FosseWay on March 29, 2022, 05:35:36 PMI think the text reads B RUSSEL. It could be B RUSSET but I don't think the top horizontal is long enough to be the top of a T; more likely, it's a somewhat oversized serif on an L.

Brussel is of course also the name of the capital of Belgium, but I suspect some guy called B Russel is more likely.
I agree with an L at the end and not a T. It's really difficult to make out anything on the left end. I'm thinking the marks are a result of deterioration of the planchet or damage rather than a letter.

Also, looking at the positioning of the figure above the text, which is generally centered, it's possible that there's a second letter to the right after the L. That would "balance" the design. Maybe there's a second L that's no longer visible making it RUSSELL.

Any thoughts on what the animal is? Almost looks like a goofy jackrabbit. :) Thanks for your comments.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Figleaf

I think the vagueness on both ends is due to the portrait being above the field. The c/s seems to be have been made with one blow. The pressure that was sufficient in the centre, was not high enough for the field.

Indeed, on the picture of the whole coin, there seems to be a B at left. However, on the enlargement it becomes a chimera. Also, the lower loop seems to go below the lower line of the other letters. Also, I don't know enough about font design to judge if this font would have a B with unequal loops, but it looks a bit odd to me.

As for the right end, I support the symmetry argument: two letters there, one of which is off flan. I like the elegance of LL, but I can also see an N there.

The animal options: goofy long-legged hare, goofy long-eared lamb (wool/meat trader?) or goat (ears are horns).

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

brandm24

Quote from: Figleaf on March 30, 2022, 11:04:00 AMI think the vagueness on both ends is due to the portrait being above the field. The c/s seems to be have been made with one blow. The pressure that was sufficient in the centre, was not high enough for the field.

Indeed, on the picture of the whole coin, there seems to be a B at left. However, on the enlargement it becomes a chimera. Also, the lower loop seems to go below the lower line of the other letters. Also, I don't know enough about font design to judge if this font would have a B with unequal loops, but it looks a bit odd to me.

As for the right end, I support the symmetry argument: two letters there, one of which is off flan. I like the elegance of LL, but I can also see an N there.

The animal options: goofy long-legged hare, goofy long-eared lamb (wool/meat trader?) or goat (ears are horns).

Peter
That's common when the stamp is applied over design elements that still have some "meat" to them. Strong over the devices but weak or not visible at all in the fields. The corrosion doesn't help either.

If that were a B on the left side the barrels look uneven as you say. Could be a cutter who signs his work that way or just a mistake. Very unusual but not unheard of. I really don't think it's a B, or any letter for that matter. A very cool old stamp though.

Bruce
Always Faithful