News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Unusual shaped token

Started by brandm24, March 27, 2022, 07:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brandm24

I haven't seen a token shaped like a fish before, so this was a surprise to me. It was issued by Fisher's Cafe at 8th and Crescent in Covington, Kentucky. The shape fits the name of the business.

I found no mention of this particular Fisher's in Covington but did come across others with the same name in other states. It appears to be circa 1920 / 1930 but don't know for sure. It's aluminum and roughly measures 32mm by 18mm. This issue is quite rare and when seen is often damaged. Because of the unusual design and soft metal used edges often break off. While researching it this was the only example I came across.

An interesting token for this obscure business.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Figleaf

It looks to me like a piece near the fish's mouth was broken off and there was a small ring there. If so, possible uses are:
  • A child's toy, e.g. in an angling game. Not very likely, as the ring would lie flat, making it difficult for the hook to enter.
  • An adult's toy, for decorating clothes or cheap jewellery.Maybe the ring breaking and a metal detectorist saved this piece for posterity.
  • Fish bait for big fish hunters. Something silvery pulled through the water would attract big stupid fish. Maybe that's why they are usually mangled.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

FosseWay

The mouth may or may not have originally been a ring, but I see no reason why this shouldn't be a token for payment - it even says "Good for 5c drink". 

Cool piece - I've never seen one that shape either! I'm sure I've come across loaf-shaped bread tokens, but I can't immediately think of one.

brandm24

Hard to tell for sure if the token is damaged around the mouth but it does look a little "funky". It's definitely a token with value. It's so crudely made it must have been a homemade job...maybe by Mr. Fisher himself.

If you come up with a loaf of bread, FosseWay, please share a slice with us. ;D

Bruce

Always Faithful

brandm24

Cool piece - I've never seen one that shape either! I'm sure I've come across loaf-shaped bread tokens, but I can't immediately think of one.
[/quote]
Well, it ain't bread but an acorn works for me. :)

BruceOdd Tokens.jpg
Always Faithful

Figleaf

For an example of a loaf-shaped token see here.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

brandm24

Thanks, Peter. You made my day. :)

Bruce
Always Faithful